7200 rpm?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lacereza, Jun 27, 2008.

1. lacereza macrumors regular

I'll be getting a MBP in August. I'll be using it for browsing, watching, music and photos etc, but mostly for running Dragon speech recognition software with MS Word for Windows inside the OSX environment using VMWare Fusion. I think that's going to chew up some grunt.

So what effect will upgrading to a 7200 rpm hard drive have? Would it be worth it? I plan to use this throughout my two years of grad study and then for at least a year, hopefully two, afterwards.

2. aquajet macrumors 68020

Stick with a larger 5400 rpm drive. Based on your uses, I believe a larger hard drive would be more useful to you than a marginally faster one.

3. macworkerbee macrumors 6502

Agreed, the 7200 is only slightly faster and only really worth the money when working with larger files.

4. ejack24 macrumors newbie

I had exactly the same question. Sounds like the speed difference will be minimal. Good to know.

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Additionally, the 7200 rpm drive WILL drain your battery faster. I'd stay away.

6. snf122 macrumors newbie

7. dul311 macrumors newbie

This is very interesting thread. I am having to consider these same questions.

I have a 17" MBP with a 200GB 7200rpm drive. I have it partioned OSX/XP. I use Logic (OSX) and Sony Vegas (XP). The best practice for both of those applications is to use a different drive to record to other the OS drive. So i have gone ahead and purchased a 7200 rpm external drive.

The only wild card is that i have a drum sampler product that is installed on the OS drive. It can not be installed on an external drive.

So I am at a crossroad: Keep the 200GB 7200rpm drive (eventhough I am running out of room) or buy a bigger 5400rpm drive since in most cases I would be recording to an external drive?

Any thoughts?

8. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Thanks for the link (and the correction). Learn something new every day I visit these forums :D

9. snf122 macrumors newbie

no problem

haha just making sure people get the right information when making their purchases.

10. Pixellated macrumors 65816

Heat, Noise

Also with the 7200RPM, you get increased noise and heat.

11. snf122 macrumors newbie

Pixellated is wrong as well...

Cmon people, please read the link before you post false information

12. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No it doesn't drain more power. It used to be a problem, but it is no longer.

Not in my experience.

13. ryanrul macrumors member

I wanted a 7200 rpm drive as well, but decided against it because i was worried that customizing my MBP would make it more difficult to get a replacement unit (rather than a repair) if i my computer shipped with any problems right out of the box. I'm glad i did, because i'm on my 3rd MBP already in one week.

14. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

How can you be glad to getting a 3rd replacement.