7200 vs 5400 Heat & Battery wise

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michaelsviews, Sep 3, 2009.

1. michaelsviews macrumors 65816

I have the new 15" MBP mid June 2.66 with the standard 320 gig and am thinking of going bigger to 500 , however my question is

HOW much difference is there going to be HEAT wise and battery time?

SSD's are dropping but just not that sure about the over all life of the device

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

So you're asking about 7200RPM vs 5400RPM or 500Gb vs 320Gb?

3. California macrumors 68040

California

This is an archaic argument when faster rpm hard drives actually sucked more power. Not anymore. Get the 500hd 7200 without the motion sensor tech. I just did it's great.

4. wankey macrumors 6502a

No heat. A little bit more noise though, turn your fan to 2500rpm, that's the kind of noise you'll get.

But a 7200rpm hdd turns your laptop into desktop speed... super fast. I got one, no problems.

5. michaelsviews thread starter macrumors 65816

HD Make and Model suggestions

Thanks for the replies, suggestion on Models, Makes, I would probably look at MacSales for the purchase

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I've been looking at the Seagate Momentus 7200.4 drive for a couple weeks now. I think there is another 7200 500gb that Hitachi came out with, but it's going to be around $30 more and probably won't come out as an OEM model for a few weeks. I couldn't find out whether it was 9mm or 12mm. I think they already have a 12mm one so I would think it's the normal size.

That's about all I know for the 7200 500gb's. Otherwise there are the WD Scorpios, 500gb 5400 and 320gb 7200 models (there are other models out there too, but these seem to be the most popular atm). They do have 1TB models, but they are the 12mm ones that won't fit in most laptops. From what I've seen they are generally more reliable than the Seagates, but then again the Momentus 7200.4 drive hasn't been out for that long either. The Scorpio 5400's are nearly as fast as the Momentus 7200 in some tests, so if you're looking for performance and reliability then get one of those. Otherwise if you just want the raw speed and size, get the Momentus (I'm sort of regurgitating what I've read from reviews online).

Some people say the Momentus is noisier and vibrates more, which has to be true to some extent, but I think it's mainly people not securing their installation or just being overly picky with a faster drive. It also will be hotter and will use more battery life, but so far I haven't found anything that says it's horrible or too noticable. The trade off of being able to do projects faster may compensate for the added heat and less battery life I would imagine.

The Seagate drives runs about $120 at newegg.com, and the WD drives much cheaper in price per GB.

I think I'm ready to spend money I don't have for the drive I truly don't need but want to use for my fresh SL install.

7. neilhart macrumors 6502

neilhart

Not to worry.

I ran my Seagate ST9500420AS drive for several months in my late 2008 uMBP (2.4GHZ with 4 GB memory) and then moved the drive to my new 17" uMBP in the first week of ownership (mid-July). The drive is fast, quite and battery life is not noticeably affected. The machine is transported to work 5 days a week and runs 8 to 12 hours a day. No problems and is now on Snow Leopard.

Neil

8. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

I'm gunna throw in that have the western digital scorpio blue 500gb drive, and I have no complaints.

Overall performance was better then the seagate 7200.4

http://techreport.com/articles.x/17010

9. wankey macrumors 6502a

Seagate 7200.4 500gig drive is not bad. Just make sure you don't get one with the motion sensor inside, it screws up the MBP motion sensor.

10. marioman38 macrumors 6502a

marioman38

+1

The higher density 5.4k drives are known to perform just as fast, if not faster then some 7.2k drives.

I'd go scorpio blue. Search the forums, there is a thread with an article on its performance, and benchmarks of its read/write and energy usage compared to other drives.