7200rpm 1tb 2.5" hdd

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by T5BRICK, Nov 3, 2012.

1. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I just came across HGST 7200RPM 1TB HDD. There is no information about it on the HGST site, or at least I didn't see anything. From what I can tell it's a 9.5mm drive, if this is true it shouldn't have any problem with fitment.

I noticed because its in the Frys ad for tomorrow. It appears to have listings at B&H as well as on amazon, although neither have stock. I'd consider buying one but I can't justify it because I really don't need the space.

http://www.frys.com/product/7325974

I figured I'd post this here since I know a few folks have been asking about a drive with these specs for a while now.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

3. davidlv macrumors 65816

Look it up --- before you post :)
    Hitachi Global Storage Technologies (HGST) is a wholly owned subsidiary of Western Digital .... (quote from Wiki)

4. T5BRICK thread starter macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Like the other poster pointed out, it used to just be Hitachi. They're in a weird transition now that they've been purchased by WD.

I do think its kind of strange that there is no mention of the drive on their website and the fact that it doesn't use a standard Hitachi model. I would expect something like "Travelstar 7k1000."

5. Jaredfmylife macrumors newbie

I purchased one of these from OWC however it seems incompatible with the optical drive sata port on a MBP 8,3. Anyone else had any luck?