7200rpm 500gb Hdd

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mitchleeh, Apr 16, 2010.

1. mitchleeh macrumors regular

Friends,

Apple doesn't offer a 7200RPM 500GB drive in the new 13" MBP (I even called and spoke to an online chat assistant - seems weird not to have this as an option for the 13").

What is the best/fastest drive 500GB drive that I can get off amazon/newegg/whatever?

I don't want an SSD - just not yet maybe in a year or two.
    I just want a 7200RPM 500GB. Any suggestions? If you have any proof to your claims, or sources I would really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance!

2. HBOC macrumors 68020

a quick search would render quicker results.

TO answer your question and after some research, i went with the Hitachi 5 months ago. I got it for $99 at Fry's. It is quiet and reliable, and i have had not one problem with it thus far.

Oh, BTW, my computer runs 24/7 (is on, at least).

3. mitchleeh thread starter macrumors regular

4. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

5. mitchleeh thread starter macrumors regular

Never said I *need* one - but if I'm going to increase my current HDD to 500GB, I would like to have the fastest.

Side note, your response pisses me off, because what I do with my hardware is none of your damn business. But thanks for the links nonetheless.

6. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

right. I dont really care what you do with your hardware either.

But these forums are full of people that have no idea what to do with their hardware, either.

I have no clue as to which category you fall into.

So lets say your were thinking that you wanted to get faster net speeds and someone told you or somewhere you think you read that getting a 7200 RPM drive would make that faster -- so you want one.

But in reality it wont do anything to your net speeds, just makes you $40 poorer. But I dont know what you are thinking.

Oh, and Mwave had the 500 gig 7200 RPM Seagate for $80 a couple of weeks ago, you might look again. EDIT: $85 now, $5 more

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/skusearch_v3.asp?scriteria=AA75210

7. mitchleeh thread starter macrumors regular

Cheers... just pissed me off that you off-the-cuff assumed that I use my computer for just facebook and twitter. I do a lot more with my computer - nothing commercial of course - I'm a communications (advertising) student so I do video editing, web/graphic design, photo editing, garage band etc etc. I use the 13" for the portability - which is the only reason I don't use 15".

I have about $100 to spend on a new drive, just for a space increase, and figure it wouldn't hurt to get a 7200 RPM. On newegg the price diff is about $10-$20, not a biggie.

8. howardnow macrumors member

After reading user reviews of Hitachi 500GB Travelstar 7200 vs. Seagate, I went with the Hitachi for $90 (check for sales). Amazon currently $90.
    7200 rpm loads up software faster and I see no battery loss in my late 2008 mbp. Avid and several editing programs require a 7200 drive. The Hitachi is quiet and problem free.

9. HBOC macrumors 68020

i might actually see a little bit of a battery life increase. The thing is silent. I have to get my ear like 6-8 inches from the trackpad to hear it.

10. mitchleeh thread starter macrumors regular

Appreciate the insight! I think I may just go for the Hitachi... good bang for buck :)