7200rpm HD battery question

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bart rijksen, May 2, 2008.

1. bart rijksen macrumors regular

I'm debating whether i should get the 7200rpm drive or the 5400rpm drive, in a new macbook pro 15 inch. What battery life do you get using the 7200rpm drive? and is there a big difference in performance between the two?
    Thanks

2. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

I didnt notice much of a difference in battery power or speed to be honest...

3. bart rijksen thread starter macrumors regular

do you get about 4 hours battery life with basic use?

4. andrewdale macrumors 6502a

With normal internet usage and some word processing for taking notes in school, I get anywhere from 4.5 - 5 hours of battery life.

When I watch video or something that taxes the processor a little more, it'll tell me that it's about 3 - 3.5 hours.

And, on a flight to Seattle, as my wife was batch processing and saving files in Photoshop CS, it dropped the battery life down to about 2.5 hours. Still not bad for such a continuous strain on the CPU and HDD.

Hope this helps.

5. bart rijksen thread starter macrumors regular

Ok, great. Thanks a lot

6. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

My 2.33 (5400) was replaced with a new penryn (opted to upgrade to 7200) and both out of the box, I noticed an increase in battery life actually (3.5hr up to 5:15). Probably due to the 45nm processor. And it is so much cooler. Heat = energy lost. I highly recommend the upgrade when transferring larger files.

7. bart rijksen thread starter macrumors regular

Another question, will the hard drive last for about 4 years or will it have failed by then?

Thank you very much. Will be ordering in an hour or so, so i would like the answers asap

Thank you

8. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

I don't know if there's any way of knowing that. 7200 rpm 2.5" drives have only been out for 1-2 yrs. But if the 3.5 drives are any indication, I don't think they had any higher fail rate than standard 5400.

9. MacAodh macrumors regular

Think it depends more on the manufacturer. Good manufacturers can produce better quality. But they should last for four years i'm assuming.

10. bart rijksen thread starter macrumors regular