7200rpm HD or SSD options in Apple Retail Stores?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WardC, Nov 2, 2010.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Does anybody know if Apple sells any configuration of the MacBook Pro in their retail Apple Store locations with the 7200rpm or Solid-State drive option? Or are the MacBook Pros only available with 5400rpm drives from the Apple Retail Store? Are 7200rpm and SSD only build-to-order options from Apple online store?

Any help would be great. Thanks!

2. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

The Oxmoor Apple Store only carries the 5400. You can just call the store and find out for sure.

3. MartyF81 macrumors 6502

Call your store and ask them what they have in stock. Apple and everyone will tell you they only have the base models.... but that isn't always True. The individual store managers can order "Custom" stock if they have a need for it in their area.

I talked to 4 people at Apple Customer assistance and they all told me the model I wanted was only available by order. Then I went in the store to "PLay" and a genius asked me what I wanted. I told him the specs, and he said "I have 10 of those in back". I walked out with it right then. Everyone in the world told me the stores don't stock it because it has "Custom Options" and they sure enough did.

4. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

would they order it for you if they didn't have it?

5. MisterFeeney macrumors 6502

They might, of course you should call to find out. Honestly, you could order the BTO from Apple's online store and get a faster turn around time.

6. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

hah i prefer not to have the 150 in tax :) its good to know they offer other models.

7. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

I am going to check at my Apple Store sometime this week...looking at a MacBook Pro to replace my old 2.4GHz 2007 model. I need something larger and more powerful than the MacBook Air for heavy tasks. I might get the base model i7 2.66 15.4" with antiglare and 4GB/5400rpm 500GB HD and then upgrade the RAM to 8GB and add an OWC SSD myself. That may be the route I choose to go. I could easily save $150 over what Apple charges for the SSD and up to $200 - $300 on the RAM.

8. aimbdd macrumors 6502a