7200rpm HD worth it in MB?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Tensakun, Jul 16, 2008.

1. Tensakun macrumors 6502

Tensakun

I know this issue has been touched on in a few other threads, but wanted to pose this question directly:

Is it worth the money and hassle to upgrade the MB's (latest current model) hard drive from its stock 5400rpm to one of the 7200rpm HDs on the market?

I don't need more space, was just wondering if normal jobs--MS Word/PowerPoint, e-mail, Dreamweaver, copying files, etc.--become noticeably snappier with the faster drive. Any anecdotal observations appreciated!:)

2. Bobjob186 macrumors 6502

nope, drains your battery faster and you won't notice a huge change in speeds, not worth it in my opinion. However it's not a hassle at all to change it.

3. fewture macrumors regular

They don't necessarily drain your battery faster at all.

Most of the new 7200 hd's are either equal in power consumption or less to most 5400 hd's.

Check out Hitachi's 7200 drives in particular.
    And they are not hotter or louder either.

And yes you do notice the difference, in both normal usage and hdd intensive programs (like audio)

4. SooTyLaD macrumors member

are the hitachi's still the daddy? (think the 7k300 is the new one isn't it?)

i know they used to be top of the pile but there are offerings from WD and seagate so just wondering which would be best for noise/power/speed?