7200RPM HDD on New MacBook ...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by alex000it, Oct 18, 2008.

1. alex000it macrumors member

I wanted to change my MB's HD, becaude 160 gigs are too small for my needs, but can I get a 7200RPM one or am I stuck with a 5400 one :eek: ?
    I ask this because Apple has only the 7200RPM BTO for the MBP.
    Is it possible that a 7200RPM hard drive gest hotter and drains much more power or wouldn't I feel any difference ?

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

The MacBooks will take 7200 RPM drives.

Just by the pure nature of spinning something faster, it will create more heat, noise and use more power. I don't think it would be a dramatic difference, though.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Here is a quote from another thread I gave this answer on

4. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

get the 128gb SSD, and an enclosure for your current 160gb, and be done with it. The speed of the SSD is insane, plus battery life is awesome.

5. alex000it thread starter macrumors member

:D ok,
    but why isn't apple offeryng a BTO with 7200 drives?
    I guess that apple thik the're only for pro use.

6. djellison macrumors 68020

Read the OP's post. He said 160gb isn't big enough

How, exactly, will 128 gig be of ANY use.

SSD's do NOT offer massive performance improvements for most purposes, their power advantages are not that significant, and they DO create an obscenely large hole in ones wallet.

Doug

7. John Jacob macrumors 6502a

John Jacob

I've bought a Western Digital Scorpio Black 320GB 7200RPM drive. I'll replace the stock drive in my MacBook as soon as it arrives (expected delivery date is Nov 5th :eek:). I also need to get an enclosure for the stock MacBook drive.

This setup should be good for a few years; after which I'll upgrade to an 800GB SSD. :D

8. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

SSD'd do offer massive increase in performance (do your homework). The increase comes in small read/writes, something we do very often, like 90% of the time. You could open and close 10 apps (SSD) in the time it takes you to open just 1 (HDD). Don't speak of things you have not experienced wirh yourself. 20% better fuel econemy also.

9. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

You're also completely off topic with both of your posts.

10. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

128 ssd drive in superdrive tray for the OS and 7200 rpm hd combo ftw?

11. djellison macrumors 68020

Quotes from a few MBA reviews...

"I used the SSD model in the same manner I used the HDD model—mostly for writing, surfing, chatting, the occasional photo tweak, and watching a bit of streaming video. For the most part, the SSD model felt exactly the same as the HDD model—the OS can only get so Snappy™ before it all blends together. Going about my daily business, I couldn't tell a noticeable difference between the two machines in terms of everyday speed."

" I experienced only moderate gains in battery life and not very noticeable speed differences. "

"Ive owned the samsung sata-II 64gb SSD drive put it in my mbp and didnt feel that much of a difference because it lacked cache. But boot time was fast... that's about it.. ran pretty hot as well.."

"ssd is not worth the cost at the moment. it is better, but not triple digit dollar better."

"However, the speed launch trick is only impressive at the first launch of an application after a reboot. Mac OS X aggressively caches data to allow the slower HDD launch its applications nearly as fast on a second try (below)."

"we managed to pull a full five hours and ten minutes of use from the HDD Air, and fifteen minutes less time from SSD Air doing similar but not identical work. "

Moot point - as you suggest an HDD SMALLER than the one he's already complained as being too small - but SSD's make sense only if you are literally made of money. For the rest of us - they make no sense at all, yet.

12. Philflow macrumors 65816

What I would like to know is how the new Alu Macbook handles the Seagate 7200.3 320GB.

I know that the previous MBP was quite bad at dissipating heat and vibration. I hope this new Macbook is better.

The Seagate can easily tip 60C degrees C in poorly cooled laptops. And that's right on the border of operating specifications.

13. consumedsoul macrumors regular

500gb 7200?

Anyone have any idea when the 7200rpm versions of the 500gb drives'll be comin' out?

14. Philflow macrumors 65816

Expected Q4 2008. So should be soon. Span.com has the Seagate 7200.4 listed but no date yet.

15. WPB2 macrumors 6502a

WPB2

Your right I got lost in the question by the OP. I assumed he wanted speed increase first, size increase second. That is y I posted it setup. I only have a 64gig SSD, and an external 100gig for storing most everything else. I have also had a 5400 rpm, and replaced it with a 7200 rpm, and didn't see much performance increase. The only increase I saw was large file transfers. so sorry OP. Yes you can put a 7200 2.5" SATA on your new MB. It will make more noise (I had the hitachi), And drain more battery, and cost more for less storage. Just my personal experiance.

16. PaulinMaryland macrumors regular

PaulinMaryland

current 7200rpm 320gb choices; eBay seller will configure

2.5-inch, 9.5mm drives that are 320GB and spin at 7200rpm are currently made by ...

On U.S. eBay, seller 4macpro (copescustomcomputers) offers to build a MacBook or MacBook Pro with any hard drive you wish. As I write, he has several 2.4GHz aluminum MacBooks for sale with your choice of 500MB/5400 or 320/7200. An authorized Apple reseller, he offers a $200 rebate if you buy it through Live.com, making his prices competitive with academic prices. I'd bet he'll spare you the 5 percent state sales tax. And of course, Apple doesn't even offer a 320/7200 drive on their MacBooks.

Which 7200rpm

17. Philflow macrumors 65816

Any experiences here with 7200rpm in the new macbook?

How does it handle the extra vibration and heat?

18. MrGando macrumors member

I read the whole thread but I didin't understand if you could put the SSD in the MacBook ( the old white macbook ) . Is it possible ?

Thanks