7200rpm Portable Hard Drive

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newsphere, Feb 2, 2008.

1. newsphere macrumors newbie

Do these exist? I'm looking for something around the 250-320GB range, at 7200rpm for audio recording and whatnot backups. Are there any portable (powered by USB/Firewise) that have speeds of 7200rpms?

The Western Digital Passport looked pretty sexy at a great price, but thats only 5400. Pity, really.

Any advice? Thx!

2. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

4. BrittQ macrumors regular

Check it.

Also notice that on the bottom right you can purchase just the case, then get the HD you want and put it in there.

5. 2A Batterie macrumors 6502a

2A Batterie

Check out a pro a/v dealer like Sweetwater or B&H. I use Glyph drives and they are great. Very rugged, portable and reliable for audio. They also are very quiet.

6. newsphere thread starter macrumors newbie

The Maxtor looks good, but I've heard of some serious quality issues with that thing. The OneTouch is also AC powered...

7. newsphere thread starter macrumors newbie

8. blairwillis macrumors regular

If you're using a MacBook or MacBook Pro, consider replacing your internal optical drive with a second hard drive! Check out the Optibay from MCE:

http://www.mcetech.com/optibay/

9. blairwillis macrumors regular

Also, I have a Lacie rugged drive 7200 rpm with both USB/FW800 that has served well. I don't have an MCE optibay, but I'm considering it in the future. FWIW I run video projection for a band, and the FW800 / 7200rpm combo is excellent for pulling vid files in a jiffy.