720p and YouTube: Do you think it will ever upload as 720p?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Savage, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

The upload to YouTube feature for a video you just shot is awesome. So is the 720p quality and focusing the iPhone 4 is capable of. I could really see myself uploading a lot of YouTube videos from now on now that it is this quick and easy to do. But the lack of 720p when you use the feature is a shame (it only uploads with 360p). Do you think there will be a software update that changes this? Or some other way of doing it but still through the phone?

2. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

4. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

Really?

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

As far as I can tell you can only export to the camera roll.

6. lorenwade macrumors 68000

lorenwade

You can upload 720p without iMovie too.

Just sync your iPhone and upload from your computer.

7. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think the idea is to do it from your phone without having to sync it.

8. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

This I know. But it would be cool to upload straight from my iPhone in 720p right after I take the video when I'm no where near a computer.

9. Resist macrumors 68030

Actually you can't. The only way to do it is by downloading the iMovie video to your computer and then to YouTube.

10. Natesac macrumors 6502a

Natesac

THERE IS A FIX!

It's called pixelpipe. It's an app store app. However I read on their twitter that they have temporarily pulled their own app because of a bug in th the thumbnail pictures.

I have pixelpipe 2.0 installed on my iPhone4 and I was able to upload high quality to YouTube. I uploaded the video 3 times. Once through the camera roll. Once from my desktop straight to YouTube. And once from pixelpipe.

I could not tell a quality difference from the desktop upload and from the pixelpipe upload over 3G

I got an error the first time I tried to upload said video from pixelpipe. Low on memory, had to reboot the phone then it worked fine. Runs in the background and everything.

Keep an eye out for it to pop back up in the app store and go check out their website. This is a pretty cool app. It will upload a video to all kinds of services.

I got it for my 3GS almost a year ago. They just updated to use the multitasking API, but it was buggy so they pulled it themselves. I think they didn't want people getting a broken version and having to wait around for the update to clear the app store approval Nazis

11. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

Sure, if you want to wait 2 hours to upload 5 minutes of 720p via wifi. That sure sounds like fun.

BJ

12. Savage thread starter macrumors 6502

Savage

3G*

So make that 3 hours!

13. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

kewl I already have it as well

14. Resist macrumors 68030

One thing to consider about uploading 720p video, is that most people don't have very fast upload speeds with Wifi. So imagine how it would be using 3G.

15. peestandingup macrumors regular

Thats not true. It would be the same as uploading from a Mac or PC over WiFi at your house, so what's the difference. Why should Apple care? Its my WiFi either way! Plus, these videos are in H.264, so they're really efficiently sized. Its not like we're dealing with giant MotionJPEGs here.

I can see them not allowing uploads over 3G, but this is just dumb & really cripples the usefulness of the phone's HD cam.

16. Evgenyy macrumors regular

Actually, my 3g upload speed is faster than my home upload speed (2.5 mbit/s on 3g vs 1.3 Mbit/s at home)