Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sentinelsx

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Feb 28, 2011
I use an iPhone 5 and have used the nexus 4 too. I have also used a s3 in the past.

While the pentile samoled does show its flaws in many cases at 720p, I can not find anything bad about the 640p LCD screen of i5 or the 720p LCD screen of nexus 4. Both were crisp, text was amazingly sharp, and images were detailed.

So there is the question, why couldn't the OEMs stick to 720p screens while improving the CPU, ram, and battery to make the phones last even longer? While the gs4 may have a 2600mah battery, it is going to have a hard time managing the blazing fast processor AND a 1080p screen.

Reviews of htc one, Xperia z, droid DNA all lament the battery life. It's the common theme of 1080p screen phones.

Why this useless push to use 1080p on a phone (which is not even going to make a difference for majority) instead of keeping to 720p and reaping benefits of more efficient processors and batteries?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The only way these folks know how to compete with Apple is through specs/speeds/feeds.

Buckle up for this continuing trend.

buy.The.INternational.UNLocked.VERSion :(

yes.Because.Money.grows.on.Trees.and.its.that.Easy

Dreamliner330

macrumors 6502a
Sep 1, 2011
A 1080 screen looks much better than a 720 screen. Its easy to see at normal viewing distances.

The DNA's 1080 screen easily bests the iP5 screen. But the HTC really chose too small of a battery.

The HTC One with its 4.7 1080 screen, decent battery and front facing speakers and excellent build quality is amazing.

Last edited:

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
I doubt bat life will be much of a concern on the G4. It think it will be equivalent or slightly better than the G3.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
I use an iPhone 5 and have used the nexus 4 too. I have also used a s3 in the past.

While the pentile samoled does show its flaws in many cases at 720p, I can not find anything bad about the 640p LCD screen of i5 or the 720p LCD screen of nexus 4. Both were crisp, text was amazingly sharp, and images were detailed.

So there is the question, why couldn't the OEMs stick to 720p screens while improving the CPU, ram, and battery to make the phones last even longer? While the gs4 may have a 2600mah battery, it is going to have a hard time managing the blazing fast processor AND a 1080p screen.

Reviews of htc one, Xperia z, droid DNA all lament the battery life. It's the common theme of 1080p screen phones.

Why this useless push to use 1080p on a phone (which is not even going to make a difference for majority) instead of keeping to 720p and reaping benefits of more efficient processors and batteries?

Because battery life is 'boring' while 1080p HD has more marketing punch. Doesn't matter if one makes more sense over the other, it's what they can build a marketing campaign around and let's face it, the general consumer loves pretty pictures and fireworks--not going to get oohs and aahs from 'it's got amazing battery life!' :rolleyes:

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
That's a good question OP, especially seeing as the Galaxy S4 looks to be stuttering and lagging in some of the preview videos I've seen. Of course, that could just be the prerelease software, but still, lag on Android devices is still really common, even with Jelly Bean. The focus should be on better performance, as you said- forget 1080p for the moment and get a device out there with phenomenal battery life and the smoothest possible performance.

tjl3

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2012
b/c 1) you don't put a display engineer on a battery project; 2) you lead the tech world by pushing standards, granted they aren't the first to lead w/ a 1080p display

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010

YOu do realise that with a bigger screen pixel density goes down? So the bigger the screen the higher the resolution HAS to be to keep the same sharpness. In reality the SGS4 actually has a pixeldensity that is just below that of the IP5 .

BS htc one has comparable battery life then IP5

http://tweakers.net/reviews/2966/2/...kleine-imperfecties-accu-verrassend-goed.html

Stuntman06

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
I'm going to reserve judgement until I get a chance to compare my SGS3 screen at 720p beside the various 1080p screens. We can all discuss in theory whether or not 720p or some other number is enough. I need to see it with my own eyes before deciding if that difference is significant enough for me.

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006

I must agree. 1080p is offered as a nod to those specs shoppers who want one more box to check off when shopping for a new phone.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012
So the bigger the screen the higher the resolution HAS to be to keep the same sharpness. In reality the SGS4 actually has a pixeldensity that is just below that of the IP5 .

Uh... No, it does not. The iphone 5 has 326 ppi, and the S4 has 441 ppi. It has nothing to do with screen size, even at 5 inches, the S4 has FAR more pixels than the ip5, resulting in an increased pixel density.

This may be the stupidest comment I've read on this site.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
Uh... No, it does not. The iphone 5 has 326 ppi, and the S4 has 441 ppi. It has nothing to do with screen size, even at 5 inches, the S4 has FAR more pixels than the ip5, resulting in an increased pixel density.

This may be the stupidest comment I've read on this site.

Yes and anybody who knows what they are talking about knows that a lot/most AMOLED screens use pentile layout(or simular tech) certainly the S3 and S4 .

Ths means instead of the normal 3 subpixels, they are grouped and "share" one of them with other pixels.

This results in an actual pixeldensity of a little below IP5 .

as for the "So the bigger the screen the higher the resolution HAS to be to keep the same sharpness. "

thats basic math, if samsung had kept the 720p display, PPI would have dropped below 300 PPI or below what most people are accustomed to.

If you talk about a stupid comment ...

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
Yes and anybody who knows what they are talking about knows that a lot/most AMOLED screens use pentile layout(or simular tech) certainly the S3 and S4 .

Ths means instead of the normal 3 subpixels, they are grouped and "share" one of them with other pixels.

Have you got a source where I can read research on that please.

As currently to me, PPI compared to PPI means PPI compared to PPI.

Krimsonmyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2012

as for the "So the bigger the screen the higher the resolution HAS to be to keep the same sharpness. "

thats basic math, if samsung had kept the 720p display, PPI would have dropped below 300 PPI or below what most people are accustomed to.

If you talk about a stupid comment ...

Ok, well let's consider this then.

The Galaxy S3 had a ppi of 306, but experts said, in reality it was more around the 285 mark, due to the pentile arrangement. So that's a drop of 21 ppi.

So the S4 has a ppi of 441, and it has a pentile arrangement (which, by the way, has a completely different pixel structure, and people who were AT the event have said is brighter, crisper and sharper than the S3's display), so let's take another 21 ppi off that to satisfy your complaint with pentile structures - and we arrive at 420 ppi.

Didn't know 420 was less than 326.

EDIT: Not to mention that on paper, the S3's ppi was still 306. The Pentile may have softened the sharpness a LITTLE bit, but certainly not enough condemn it as a screen technology.

Not to mention that on a display with a 1080p resolution, I'd be shocked if you could actually notice any artifacts on the screen.

galaxy_s4_display_01.jpg

^ you can clearly see how the pixels are closer together, and don't share as many blues as the GN2 or GS3. Research stuff before you talk, it's not hard.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.