720p MKV conversion

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PedroCR, May 17, 2009.

1. PedroCR macrumors newbie

Hello
    I have a late 2008 unibody macbook 2.0 Ghz and when I play 720p MKV (quicktime + perian) it's a bit choppy... Recently installed Plex and it's a lot better...

After some googling around I have a question I couldn't find the answer for..

Since the only GPU hardware acceleration is used to decode apple's .mov files, is it possible to convert .mkv to .mov in order to use that hardware acceleration?

Thanks in advance for any tip!
    Bye

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Before doing any type of lengthy and lossy conversion, try Movist to see if that helps ...

3. PedroCR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply! I'll try that app for sure!

But my goal here is to reduce the CPU load of MKV playback on my MacBook!
    If I could convert them to mov and make quicktime play them like apple's mov trailers (20% CPU load) would be great!

Thanks again

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you convert them to mov, then it may ... there is no guarantee.

5. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

If you use Quicktime Pro, you can open .mkv file in Quicktime, and go to "Save As" and save it as a .mov.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

That just saves it in a mov container, much like renaming the file extension to .mov. You'd have to Export it from QT Pro in order to actually make it a different file.

7. PedroCR thread starter macrumors newbie

it just changes the container... i suppose it's needed some re-encoding! anyone know an app for re-encoding mkv's with the same codec used in apple's trailers?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Handbrake.

10. PedroCR thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks again for all the replies.

Do you think it will work? Will GPU acceleration be used to decode the converted mov's like in apple's trailers?

I haven't had time to test this yet.. lot's of work lattely... :(

What are the main disadvantaged of this method? Any loss of quality? A lot of conversion time?

Does playing 720p movies with reduced CPU load worth any of those disadvantages?

It really bugs me all the frame loss and CPU load when playing mkv's....

Thanks

11. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Erm... why not just use VLC as your media player of choice? It plays any file format imaginable and can even convert between many formats. Excellent media player, really. And open source (thus free), too!

12. PedroCR thread starter macrumors newbie

What about the CPU load issue and consequent high temperatures/fan RPMs ?

13. on3eighteen macrumors newbie

My late 2008 MacBook's fan runs out of control when playing a 720p MKV via Boxee. I'm not sure if it's Boxee's fault for not using both CPU cores, or if my MacBook just has a hard time decoding. I haven't installed any video or audio codecs. Does anybody recommend a good codec if that's even likely to improve my CPU load & by proxy reduce my monster fan noise?

14. ecking macrumors newbie

I think anyone who doesn't have perian installed should give it a try. I really like it.