Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
I use the mac in my signature to watch TV and DVDs in my lounge. (I am in the UK)

When (hopefully) apple give us movie downloads on iTunes, and presuming you can get these in 720p, will my Mac handle 720pHD? The quicktime site says you need a powermac G5 1.8 or greater - i think mine is a 1.9G5 but is an iMac of course.

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
thanks! yes i did think of this in the end!

my comp seems to handle 720p ok in a quicktime window. I noticed more slowdown when running through frontrow....

was hoping to be able to watch movies in the future on this computer @720p but not convinced its good enough. Perhaps i have to make sure no other programs are running and using the CPU. i will do some testing!

jdavtz

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2005
Kenya
My iMac G5 2.0GHz plays 720p movie trailers from the Apple website just fine if the settings in System Preferences>Energy Saving are set to "Highest" processor performance. For some reason it stutters a bit if I leave it on "Automatic" - it's like it doesn't realise it needs to ramp up the processor speed, for some reason.

I just leave it on "Highest" performance all the time now (Aperture seems to prefer it too).

Edit: They play just fine full-screen too (using QTPro or VLC - I don't have Front Row on my iMac G5 rev.B)

Grasbak

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 17, 2006
UK
wow - I didnt realise about the performance setting - i will give that a whirl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.