Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
So after updating my iPhone firmware to 3.0 I signed into the app store on the iPhone and purchased an app. Now it won't let me transfer the purchase to iTunes on my PC because it claims it isn't authorized for the account. I double checked and iTunes is indeed authorized.

The only lead I have is that my iPhone may be signed into and older yet similar iTunes account. Let's just say for discussion purposes that my username is Bob1234.

My iTunes account is Bob1234 via AOL (so Bob1234@aol.com), but to sign in via iTunes I just click the AOL icon and sign in as Bob1234 with my password. Well on the iPhone I signed in simply as Bob1234 (there was nowhere to select AOL vs Apple). To potentially remedy this solution I attempted to sign in on the iPhone as Bob1234@aol.com, but it kept telling me that the password was incorrect.

Hopefully, everyone was able to follow that. Any ideas?

platforms:iPhone 3G running OS 3.0
PC running Win XP Pro SP3 w/ iTunes 8.2

P.S. My name isn't Bob.

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Well, I fixed my own problem... to an extent. Turns out I did indeed have 2 iTunes accounts. I've authorized my computer for both for the time being. Ideally I'd like to figure out how to sign into my AOL one on my iPhone instead since that has been my primary account for a good couple of years.

Terdinus Asus

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2008
I'm getting the same problem with my AOL account.

"Incorrect password, please try again"

*Shoots AOL*

...*and iPhone*

DirtySocks85

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Wichita, KS
Yeah, I got the following email from Apple customer service when I asked them about it. It still doesn't help me log-in via my AOL account on my iPhone.

Here's a copy of the email in case it helps anyone else.
Dear Justin,

This is Walter from the iTunes Store Customer Support. I will be assisting you today. I am glad to hear that you successfully upgraded your iPhone to 3.0. I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble authorizing your computers to play your purchases.

Like you mentioned, you have multiple iTunes accounts:

dirtysocks85 - Apple ID (xxxxxxx@hotmail.com)
dirtysocks85 - AOL ID (xxxxxxx@aol.com) - The one from which the purchases were made. Needs to be authorized.

Please note that it is not possible to merge two or more accounts, and your computers need to be authorized for all of your accounts or some of your purchases may not play.

To authorize your computers, follow these steps on each computer for each account:

1) Make sure you have installed the latest version of iTunes. You can download the latest version free of charge:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/download

2) Open iTunes.

3) From the Store pull-down menu at the top, choose Authorize Computer.

4) Enter one of your account names and the password for the account.

Note: You must select the AOL button for your AOL accounts and the Apple button for your Apple ID accounts in order for authorization to be successful.

5) Click Authorize. A dialog will tell you if the authorization was successful or unsuccessful and how many computers you have authorized for that account.

Repeat steps 3 to 5 for each account listed above.

If you forgot the password to one of your Apple ID accounts, you can recover it using the Apple password-recovery website:

http://iforgot.apple.com

If you can't remember your AOL password, call AOL at 1-800-827-6364 or click the link below to be taken to the area of AOL's website where you can reset the password yourself:

https://account.login.aol.com/opr/_cqr/opr/opr.psp

To figure out which account you used to purchase a particular item, follow these steps:

1) Control-click (or right-click) the item in your iTunes Library.

2) Choose Get Info from the menu that appears.

3) Click the Summary tab.

Note the account name that appears in the list. The account name that appears is what it was when you purchased the item. Even if you have changed your account name since then, the item's Summary will continue to display the original account name.

You can also review your entire purchase histories. This article shows you how:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2727

My goal is to provide you with excellent customer service. Should you still have the same issue please do not hesitate to reply to this email.

Thank you for being a valued iTunes Store customer.

Sincerely,

Walter
iTunes Store Customer Support

Please note: I work Tuesday - Saturday 11AM - 8PM CT.

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Customer First Name : Justin
Customer Last Name : xxxxx
email : xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Web Order # :
Support Subject : Authorization
Sub Issue : I can't authorize my system to play purchases
iTunes Account Name : xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Platform : Windows XPSP2+
Comments: After updating my iPhone to iPhone OS 3.0 and signing into my account I purchased an app through the app store on the iPhone. Upon trying to sync with my computer I get an error message stating that my computer is not authorized for the account that purchased the app, despite signing in with the same account on both my computer and my iPhone.

I think it may be because my iTunes Store account is an AOL account and I originally just signed in on the iPhone with dirtysocks85 rather than dirtysocks85@aol.com, but if I try to sign into my account on my iPhone as dirtysocks85@aol.com it says the password is incorrect (of which I am 100% certain it is correct for that account).

TrackID: 7974813

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.