73.9gb free space after erasing HD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Theoyster, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Theoyster macrumors member

I have a mac mini with 80gb HD.

After I erase the hard disk it shows 74.5gb free, almost. It says there is 42.3mb of space being used by 2 files which I understand are used for read write or partitioning or whatever.

When I then leave disk utility and go to the actual installer, the destination disk (untitled - 74.5gb) shows only 73.9gb free space. What is taking up an additional 500mb of space on the hard drive?

Apple support told me that somehow the disk has been altered and I lost space on the disk or I am now using a seperate partition that isn't showing up. Disk utility shows only one partition with 74.5gb free space. He told me I can find information about how to 'merge' the disk on the apple support section under troubleshooting articles for disk utility. I have been unable to locate this information.

Has anyone else had this experience? It's one thing if it says only 74.5gb of 80 are free after an erase but then for it to drop another 500mb to 73.9gb during the install is a bit confusing.

Thanks for any help

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

3. RRmalvado macrumors 6502

Those are temporary files from the installer, but really just install and use the software. You can also opt for a larger hard drive.