Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdhollman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 16, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I did a search on this forum and I did not see anything on this topic, maybe I am just an idiot and I do not know how to search, anyway on to the question. :)

I am just about to buy my new Mac Pro, it will be used primarily for motion design work using MAYA, Modo, C4D and After Effects. Is the stock 7300 GT good enough that I will be fairly happy with its performance, or is it just plain bad and the extra $300 for the ATI is worth it? The 7300 fits more in my budget, but if I have to pony up the extra cash I am sure I can pull it off.

Also does the 7300 have and legs or will I want to be upgrading the card in year due to software demands?

Thanks for any help on this, video cards are not my forte.
:)

waremaster

macrumors 6502
Aug 27, 2006
While there is no doubt and no argument that the OPEN GL performance on Nvidia cards is better than on ATI cards. The horsepower difference between the X1900Xt and the 7300GT is so drastic the ATI will do a much better job for rendering in applications like MAYA.

boneca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
Sorry for hijacking your tread but I'm in the same boat as you are. I'll be getting my new Mac Pro in the next week or two and while I'm pretty much set on all other specs I still can't decide between Video cards. I've been using nVidia for ages mostly on PCs and would like to stay with it but hearing allot of recommendations I'm starting to thing that it might be better at the end to go with ATI.
I'll be using multi display setup 2 ACDs 20" and 23".

btw Is that ATI card comes with TV Tuner by any chance?

CyberPrey

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2006
IGH, MN
No TV tuner...

7300 is an entry level card, and you would/will end up with having to upgrade it in the near future, I think you would be far happier just purchasing it with the ATI card installed...

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I guess it looks like the ATI. I am going to wait and see what comes out on the 20th, maybe they will update the stock card?

I read that the 7300 GT performs for the most part on par with a 6800 GS (with the 6800 having a very slight edge). I'm considering getting a MacPro as well. One of the major drawbacks is I would rather wait until a DX10 capable card is offered, rather than buy it later cause Apple likes to overcharge on these things.

beerad72

macrumors newbie
Oct 16, 2006
CA
Hard to say when or if Apple will put a directx 10 capable card in a Mac anytime soon. We can only hope!

boneca

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2005
Boston, MA
No TV tuner...

Back on TV Tuner topic. Is there any internal TV Tuners available for Mac?
I know about external Mac TV Tuners, used to have one, sold it as quality vise it was worse than on internal PC tuner...
ATI Internal tuners are not computable with Macs?

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I would say if you're thinking of getting the 7300gt now and going to get the ATI x1900 later, best put it in now instead of buying it later. You'll pay $400 bucks to get it instead of just the extra $250 to put it in during the build-to-order. It's not worth $400 considering the PC version of this card is around the $250 price point as it is...even though the PC versions have grown past this card now (rx1950xtx etc etc).

product26

Cancelled
May 30, 2005
I would say if you're thinking of getting the 7300gt now and going to get the ATI x1900 later, best put it in now instead of buying it later. You'll pay $400 bucks to get it instead of just the extra $250 to put it in during the build-to-order. It's not worth $400 considering the PC version of this card is around the $250 price point as it is...even though the PC versions have grown past this card now (rx1950xtx etc etc).

don't listen to this misinformation.

you can buy the PC version for $250 and flash it to work in your mac. No need to spent $400 on the card

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
don't listen to this misinformation.

you can buy the PC version for $250 and flash it to work in your mac. No need to spent $400 on the card

Sure, you could try it. Give us your experience with this product26. How did it work for you?

TheFuzz

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2006
LA
i use AE and C4D too and went with the 7300 hoping that apple would soon offer a better nvidia card instead of the x1900. the stock card works ok. it's fine for after effects as i turn off OpenGL because it's awful. no card will speed up your render times in your 3d apps, that's all processor.

jasonmoola

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2007
Hi - Newbie here

I am also looking at a Mac Pro. Mainly will be for Final Cut Pro, Motion, maybe Shake. So 7300 or X1900 for me? (Quadro fx is too expensive)

Also have any of you guys fitted 3rd party Ram modules?

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.