Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cpcarrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
OK I have an old Mac Pro (4x2.66 Core, 9GB RAM) with the stock 7300 GT graphics card. As I am told that the 2600 XT is compatible with the old MAc Pro do people think this is a worthwhile upgrade (fairly cheep only £90) or is there any better route?

My system is not used for any games or anything under windows and is primarily used for Final Cut Studio 2 projects (dabble a little bit in motion and blender projects but not much).

The 8800 GT is currently unavalable and according to some of the posts actually worse for FCS2 anyway. The Quadro upgrades seem ludicrously priced, and the only other option is the X1900 is a very old card that I have heard has some issues.

Any views on what would be best for me?

Also if I do upgrade is there any advantage in keeping the 7300GT as a second card other than using extra monitors?

Everythingisnt

macrumors 6502a
Jan 16, 2008
Vancouver
The upgrade is certainly worthwhile. After all, it's relatively cheap, but you get a significant performance boost where you will most need it.

Barefeats has shown that the ATI cards are very strong when it comes to running Pro Apps, so I think that this upgrade will suit your needs very well.

However, if you still need more power, the X1900 is still a viable option. While it's true that it is very outdated, when it was first released it was probably one of the best cards on the market, and still manages to perform at a very high standard (even today). Not only that, but it beats the 8800GT hands down on RAM preview tests in apps like Motion, and can handle 8 bit 12 bit and 16 bit rendering for apps like color.

Of course, if you should go with it I'd suggest buying a PC version and flashing it (as the apple store charges you about $100 more then normal).

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I run the HD2600 XT as an upgrade for my 7300, and it's substantially better IMO. I can't give you any hard benchmarks other than WoW, but barefeats has already done so. :)

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
I'm also interested in the answer to I think is the last part of the question -- whether you're better off using the 7300 to drive a second monitor, or if you're better of driving both monitors with the 2600.

jemo07

macrumors regular
May 6, 2006
Madrid, Spain
Sorry for me there was no Wow testing it with Aperture 1.5 :( a modest hum.
Also I was hopping of running two in my MP 2.66 pre 08.

Hope it helps.

JM

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
I'd say keep it, that way each monitor will get the maximum amount of video memory available. I still have my 7300 GT installed in slot 4 in case I ever buy another monitor.

cpcarrot

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 24, 2008
Well it's definitely sounding like a worthwhile upgrade so I'll see if I can find somewhere in the UK that has them in stock and get it ordered!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.