733mHz Quicksilver RAM Question

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by kildraik, Apr 4, 2010.

1. kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

So, I have recently inherited several computers. First, and iMac G4 4,2 (15", 800mHz, 512 of internal ram with the extra slot empty, pre usb 2.0) and a beautiful first generation Quicksilver. 733mHz, 17" LCD Studio Display, etc.

Now, In my research, the PM needs PC133, 168 pin, 3.3v, etc SDRAM.

I want to put in an extra 1GB, as it already has one DIMM of 256mb (And the max is 1.5gb). My questions are these:

I am looking on ebay. Does this ram HAVE to be low density?

And if it Has to be low density, and I find low density, as I have, just in case, if the product page fits all requirements but still says it's not for an Apple, will it really not work? I mean, it's just hardware.

Thanks for your help!

Will

2. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Yes, it should be low density RAM. I'm using mostly "non Apple" RAM and it works perfectly with QS. I can recommend Kingston KVR and KTA series, Crucial/Micron and Hynix sticks (all non ECC ofc). Samsung branded also are good. CL not matters. Don't buy "no name" memory - most of them will not work.

3. kildraik thread starter macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Should I always buy new, even if guaranteed against DOA?

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

New is surely better (warranty etc), but if you plan to buy used ones, try to grab brands that have lifetime warranty (like Kingston does).