737 does a near barrel roll

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by yg17, Sep 30, 2011.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

2. Cloudsurfer macrumors 65816

Cloudsurfer

No pilot could possibly mistake a cockpit door unlock button for a stab trim switch, the 737 doesn't even have a stab trim button but a large stab trim 'wheel' so to speak.

And even if you'd trim the airplane out of balance, it would take a lot of time and effort to make it bank even remotely close to 'almost barrel roll'. If that's even possible with the autopilot switched on.

Either the media coverage is incomplete, or this is indeed a b/s article.

3. jzuena macrumors 6502a

jzuena

And Boeing's test pilot Tex Johnson actually did do a barrel roll with the prototype 707 (Dash-80) over prospective customers. The very plane he did it in is now in the Smithsonian Institution. Of course, Tex performed a coordinated barrel roll with no fuss. The CGI recreation of what the ANA co-pilot did only resembles a barrel roll in that the plane rolled 135 degrees at one point.

4. YESimBLUNTED macrumors member

5. ender land macrumors 6502a

I'm impressed someone could do that with one button. Especially considering that means that no one must have been paying attention in the cockpit for that to happen slowly like that...

6. wpotere Guest

True, but Tex didn't do it with a fully loaded pig. :eek: Still not sure I am buying this story but I will say that if it is true that this plane did this, it would have been one hell of a ride!

7. reputationZed macrumors 65816

Reminds me of the passage from Kirt Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5

----------

How could you have a name like Tex Johnson and not be able to barrel role a 707?

8. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Peppy must have told him to do a barrel roll. :D