75 year old mother + Snow Leopard = Help!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PaperQueen, Feb 26, 2016.

1. PaperQueen macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Hi all,

My mother's been at the "tinkering phase" on her MacBook for several years, remaining in Snow Leopard all this time (believe me when I say technology is not in her comfort zone). I feel it's time we bump things up as much as the hardware will allow, but fear there's no longer access to Mavericks.

Any suggestions about how to update the OS (buying a new computer won't float with either she or Dad, given how little she's used this one)? Specs are as follows:

MacBook5,2 (Early 2009)
    2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    4Gb RAM
    OS 10.6.8

I'm teaching her to use Gmail online instead of Apple Mail, but that's probably not going to be enough.

Thanks everyone. :)

2. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

3. Alexappleusa macrumors newbie

Yes you are in luck you can upgrade all the way to el cap. Though it is a little more difficult I suggest a fresh install.

4. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

That's good news---of course, seeing new graphics and screens will cause Mom's stomach to sink (it's been a long, "interesting" journey bringing both parents into the technological world). ;)

5. PKBeam macrumors regular

PKBeam

if you really wanted vanilla mavericks there are some torrents circulating....

6. gooser macrumors 6502

maybe she doesn't need to upgrade from snow leopard.

7. PaperQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

PaperQueen

Gmail no longer "plays nice" with the version of Apple Mail that runs on Snow Leopard. Just spoke to the Apple Store nearby---they're going to do a clean install of Yosemite for her (we're okay with that) so I'm not spending my time hunkered over the laptop during my visit from out of state.

Decided we could enjoy a glass of wine over lunch while Genius Bar staffers hunker over the laptop instead. ;)

Thanks for weighing in, folks---as always, these forums are a Godsend.