750 gb Western Digital Black vs SSD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mark28, Jun 9, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

The Western Digital Black 7200 rpm 750 gb is the fastest notebook drive while also offering one of the largest storage space.

The problem with SSD is that is incredibly expensive and it has very small storage space.

I'm going to struggle with storage alot if I go SSD. What should I buy?

2. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

If you need more space than you can afford with an SSD, then stick with the mechanical drive

3. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

I can afford a 512 gb SSD, but I just feel silly to pay almost $1000 for a drive :confused:

4. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

Buy a 128 or 240GB SSD then use the WD Black in the Optibay, best of both worlds.

Also the WD Black isnt faster than a Seagate Hybrid XT.

5. Resist macrumors 68030

I'm confused why you've asked for opinions here, when clearly you've already made up your mind what you want.

6. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

No shiz lol. I think he wanted to brag about the fact he can throw $1000 on an SSD and it would only make him feel silly. I think he should be dumb for saying that in the first place, just my IMO.

7. Peteman100 macrumors 6502

If you use your computer for work at all, I think the cost of an SSD is justified. They have a huge effect on performance. If you have a lot of music or movies that take up a lot of space, another option is to move those to an NAS and stream them as needed.

8. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Don't troll in my thread please.

9. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

I haven't made up my mind yet. I'm thinking about a 240 gb or 300 gb SSD drive or a cheaper HDD.

My concern is, if the speed outweighs it's downside ( cost and storage space )

10. njaremka macrumors 6502

i would do what orlando said, install a 240~ish SSD for apps and os and whatever into the optibay, then get a 750gb-1tb HDD for all your data storage.

11. G5isAlive macrumors 6502a

and really thats a matter of personal preference that only you can decide. Me, I love my SSD and don't see me going back. I have a 128 for the applications and system and HD for storage as people here have suggested. Net cost will be lower (no need to feel silly) and you will have the best of both worlds. Speed and storage. The system alone on SSD will make it feel snappier. I have converted both my dad and my son to SSD and they too love it.

if you want more informed opinions you need to put out more specifics, like your current storage demands, what you plan to do with it, etc. otherwise, yeah, looks a bit silly.

12. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

still hasnt made his mind up if he wants to feel silly about spending $1000 on an SSD?

13. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

Do you actually need 500GB of space on a laptop?

I installed a 160GB SSD in my MBP about a year and a half ago. I have almost 90GB still available. I made a decision that I was willing to trade the speed of the SSD for some compromises in what I would have available locally on the laptop. For example: I don't keep my iTunes library on the MBP; instead, I have all of my music synced to my iPhone and all of my other media on an external drive (connected to an iMac, but that's beside the point). When including video, there is no 2.5" drive that was going to hold my whole library anyway.

Point is, I consider the SSD to be worth changing some habits over. YMMV..

14. Resist macrumors 68030

The problem is that your post was clearly leaning one way.

15. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I would go with the Black, and then put an SSD in the optibay if you don't use it.

I'm going to do that, but I'm going to wait until my warranty expires!

Performance and space!