750gb - 7200rpm - internal SATA for MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 6Stringer, May 2, 2011.

1. 6Stringer, May 2, 2011
    Last edited: May 2, 2011

6Stringer macrumors newbie

Hello Folks,

I've been doing a bit of research on 750gb internal 7200rpm drives and here's what I've found...

The Western Digital Scorpio Black WD7500BPKT looks like a good choice but I did read some complaints that there was a firmware-level power management issue with the MBP and there was even an application to run to circumvent the problem. Is there any truth to this? Did I miss any reference threads here? The "adjustment" application is called hdapm.

The Seagate Momentous ST9750420AS is apparently unreliable and I won't consider this one. (I was once such a huge Seagate fan!)

Hitachi announced the HK750 750gb but they seem to be doing some squirrelly thing with formatting and there carefully avoid and claim to supported OS. On the surface (pun mercilessly intended ;-), this one looks like one to avoid.

I know Apple has used Toshiba as their 500gb 7200 rpm solution but Toshiba is not offering a 750gb, 7200rpm 2.5" drive yet.

I'll do some digging here but any information, corrections and/or updates are greatly appreciated.

2. m4rk0 macrumors member

well, i had it as a boot drive for a couple of days and didn't notice any issue; could you elaborate on what do others experience?

on a side note, though, i got to say i never had the option "put the hard drives to sleep when possible" ticked.

3. 6Stringer thread starter macrumors newbie

Some of these reported issues are related to power management incompatibility (where hdapm was utlized), sudden motion sensor compatibility issues (SMS). Many users reported no problems at all. I also discovered where Apple had a problem with 7200 rpm Seagate drives that they (factory) installed. This was apparently resolved by a MBP firmware update.

4. video guy macrumors newbie

I put the scorpio black 750 into my 15" mbp (early 08) and it has worked flawlessly for about a month now. Replaced the 500gb scorpio blue I had for about 2 years, also a great drive. Use it as an external drive now.

5. alphatectz macrumors 6502a

alphatectz

i'm currently looking for a new HD, i found this on newegghttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148599
    but after reading the reviews and what you wrote, i think i will pass.

fyi i have a mid(late) highend 09 mbp just want an ssd since i just ordered 8gb ram from crucial :)

6. dieselm macrumors newbie

the scorpio black in my optical bay is cutting about 2 hours off my battery life. I don't really understand it. i've read references to this shortening in the forums, but i've also read that some people have virtually no hit to battery life at all.

anyone have more information?

7. m4rk0 macrumors member

damn, i was going to buy an optical bay adapter to install this beast there but now i am not sure what to do.
    which adapter do you use?

noticed any decrease in battery life as dieselm does?

well, sms is a non issue for me as it's been disabled because of the ssd installation.
    from what i found, hdapm is a command line tool to eliminate and manage a drive's power savings right?