750gb HD in macbook2,1?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by LouchGoose, Feb 15, 2011.

1. LouchGoose macrumors newbie

Through a combination of enthusiasm and ignorance I recently purchased a Western Digital Scorpio Blue 750GB 2.5" SATA Laptop Internal Hard Drive (Model: WD7500BPVT). I have since discovered that there may be an issue installing it in my Macbook2,1.

I believe the problem is something to do with the circuit-board not working with HDs above 500gb.

What will happen if I just install it anyway? Is there any software around that can help me manage this issue.

I've included the specs from System Profiler just in case they are relevant.

Any help (or commiserations) appreciated.

Specs

Model Name: MacBook
    Model Identifier: MacBook2,1
    Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
    Processor Speed: 2 GHz
    Number Of Processors: 1
    Total Number Of Cores: 2
    L2 Cache: 4 MB
    Memory: 2 GB
    Bus Speed: 667 MHz

2. aniketroxx macrumors member

aniketroxx

lol if your macbook supports SSD then don't waste money on the HDD . HDD will soon get dead all will be using SSD . :confused:

3. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No logic boards are incapable of supporting more than 500GB's. There should be no issue.

Previously, nothing larger than 500GB (then 640GB) would fit physically in those machines, as the 750GB and 1TB drives were 12.5mm's tall, but the drive you got is only 9.5mm, so will fit, and will be recognized without any trouble.

BTW, aniketroxx, there's still plenty of reasons to get a HDD over a SSD for now. In fact, about 750 reasons in this case, considering you can't get an SSD that big, and it would cost about $1000 more than the drive the OP has.

jW

4. LouchGoose thread starter macrumors newbie