750gb HD or 128gb SD?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gaiao, Jul 18, 2012.

1. gaiao, Jul 18, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2012

gaiao macrumors newbie

Hi guys. I'm going to the USA next month and I'm planning on buying a
    Macbook pro 13' 2012 - 8gb
    750gb HD
    It will be my first apple product ever :D

Now here is the question:

Is it worth to change the 750gb HD for a 128gb SSD? I've never used an SSD before so I don't know if the gain in performance is as high as everybody say.

It's always good to have more space, but I'm willing to sacrifice it for a good gain in performance, since most of my files are movies and tv shows, which I don't need to carry with me everywhere.

Thanks in advance.

2. RedCroissant Suspended

I've seen some excellent increase in speeds with a SSD but I would just feel limited by the lack of space. However, if you won't be using your computer to store large amounts of files or even large files and relying on iCloud, then it might not even affect you.

I would still go with the regular HDD because even thought the SSD is faster at startup and quicker at accessing and opening applications, but that gain is negligible in my opinion because I don't mind waiting an extra second or so.

And if you do decide to go with the HDD drive now, you can always instal a SSD in the future and most likely it will be cheaper than the upgrade is now.

3. gaiao thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answer. If I decided to install a SSD later, will it void the warranty?

4. bit50man macrumors newbie

750gb HD or 128gb SD?

I just took out a 750gb drive out of my MBP and replaced it with an OCZ 240gb drive.

The performance improvement is amazing. Photoshop was one of the apps which too ages to load, it now loads up really fast.

I would be tempted to get the 750gb drive and replace it later. SSD drives are coming down in price and you can put the replaced drive into an external caddy and use for storage.

5. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

No, it is user-serviceable.

----------

The difference between an SSD and a mechanical HDD is a lot more than a second or two in practically all tasks that are storage bound. The gains are not restricted to just restarting or opening applications.

Gaiao, what do you normally use a Mac for?

6. gaiao thread starter macrumors newbie

I study Computer Science, so besides the normal stuff like web browsing and text editor, I intend to do some programming on it, I also convert videos and musics from time to time.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Compiling is mainly CPU based and IDEs like RAM so I would upgrade the RAM, since it's so cheap to get 8 or 16 GBs aftermarket. The SSD will make everything a lot more snappier and nicer to use, like a cherry on the cake. Have you thought about a 2012 MBA with 8 GB of RAM? It would suit your needs perfectly. Get an external monitor, if you don't have one yet.

8. caligomez macrumors regular

caligomez

Seems like you are sacrificing A LOT of space... I would get the 750GB HDD, simply because this is your first Apple product, and you might really like its media apps. Therefore, if you end up buying an iPhone or iPad, using the iLife apps and what not, you might find 128GB to be too restricting. I would give the HDD a whirl for at least 6 months, and then decide if worth upgrading to a 256GB (or more) SSD.

9. numbersyx macrumors 65816

numbersyx

Would go for the 750 GB myself. Although there is no doubt loading times will be faster on the SSD - that advantage is wiped out by the loss of space I would otherwise have...

10. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

750GB HD

Its way more cost effective - Apple charges too much for a SSD

If you want a SSD - purchase it from another retailer and swap drives - then buy a $10 external cover and you have a 750GB external drive.

11. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

I would definitely not get the upgrade from SSD. That's just crazy. A 256 GB Samsung 830 is only £145 in the UK. It's even cheaper in the US.

12. gaiao thread starter macrumors newbie

I will get the 750 gb HD, then I upgrade later to a SSD.

Thanks.

13. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

I like this guy.

Asked for advice.

Willing to listen (which makes sense considering he asked for it).