750GB Momentus XT Guinea Pigs, sound off!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by msavwah, Dec 7, 2011.

1. msavwah macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ordered from Newegg for about $260 with tax and shipping (to HI)
    2010 13" 2.4ghz 8GB
    Replaced factory Hitachi 5400rpm 500GB.

Installed the seagate, initialized and partitioned/formatted, cloned it from CCC overnight.

Checked it this morning. Clone complete, no issues. Seems all my data is perfectly intact.

Reboots are way faster but best of all is that apps pop up and run almost instantly. Very smooth too. Only used the computer about an hour but very impressed so far.
    No issues. Will report back after more usage.
    Very happy with it so far.

Anyone else?

Oh and I'm not sure what firmware it's running, guessing 28.
    How do I check?

2. squeakr, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2011

squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

If I remember correctly it is under System Information under the Serlal-ATA settings. Select your hard drive and should say the firmware there.

3. msavwah thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks,
    it's SM12.

4. duffer6, Dec 7, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011

duffer6 macrumors 6502

I have the 750GB XT2 and it is rock solid. *No issues at all. *The additional 4GB of Nand for a total of 8GB makes this thing rock. *I am using it with my late 2011 MacBook Pro and I can safely say it is the perfect drive for me. *
    1)Temps are lower overall with this drive, system and HD temps
    2) Boot time is under 19 seconds and applications are sometimes so quick I can't even measure them
    3) No sleep issues, no beeps, no elevated noise
    4) Read write speeds are faster ( I believe due to the SATA III connection)
    5) No data lags, system has not experienced any slow downs, lags, stutters, etc.
    Overall I am a very happy camper.

5. msavwah thread starter macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Also notice no heat or sound or vibration or battery changes.
    Everything positive, nothing negative at this time.

6. joecool99 Suspended

joecool99

7. pscraig macrumors member

I'm also very happy with this drive. I have one installed in my late 2011 15" MBP 2.2GHz, 8GB RAM. It's replacing a WD Scorpio Black 750GB.

Some brief observations, as compared to the Scorpio Black 750GB:

*It is connected at 6Gbps to the SATA controller
    *Temp is the same as the Scorpio Black 750GB (31 deg C)
    *Vibration and noise are lower - sounds more like 5400 rpm drive. Vibration is MUCH lower.
    *read/write speeds "feel" faster, but frequently used apps spring open almost instantaneously. Overall this makes this computer feel much faster. No lag when opening Aperture or Final Cut Express, and the initialization for FCE is nearly instantaneous. It learns quickly.
    *No stutter or lag as displayed by past Momentus XT series
    *Seems to have two speeds for the drive platters-a lower "rest" speed, and then quickly goes to full speed when needed. I have not seen it spin down completely.
    *Power consumption is listed in specs as higher, but in real use I have not seen any worse battery life.

It's a pricey drive but really does positively affect the "feel" of the system. I think Seagate has a winner here.

8. HellDiverUK macrumors 6502

:rolleyes:

9. eternalife macrumors regular

He was asking for the XT2 not the XT. I can't find one out there either.

10. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Its actually not labeled as the XT2 simply look for the XT that has a capacity of 750GB which is the new entry level storage space for the updated XT.

Hope that helps.

11. Jason Beck macrumors 68000

Jason Beck

12. Philflow macrumors 65816

13. mtfbwy macrumors member

Wondering if this will work on an early 2011 15" MBP at SATA-III speeds with no issues?

I have an SSD + HDD install now but it's causing me problems and i don't really have the time / energy to be constantly fooling with the config. I want something stable and fast.

14. Philflow macrumors 65816

As far as I know there's no reason why it shouldn't.

I've never had problems with the 500GB XT in my early and late 2011 MBPs.

15. duffer6 macrumors 6502

Yes as long as you have applied all the firmware updates that Apple has posted over the past few months, then Yes the XT2 will work without issue, in fact it should work almost as speedy as a traditional SSD. I am totally happy with what I have and I was using it in a early 2011 MBP and now am using it in my new Late 2011 MBP.

Enjoy!

16. Maseison macrumors newbie

Maseison

What setup do you have? (just wanna make sure i don't do the same thing)

17. mtfbwy macrumors member

I have a Kingston 128gb SATA-II and a WD 1 tb HDD. The SSD is in the optical bay and has been working great until the past few months. I'm now thinking it's a Lion issue.

I might swap the two drives but now I hear the HDD might spin constantly in the optical bay.

My other option is a single 256gb SSD or the Seagate Momentus and put my optical drive back.

----------

The reason I ask is because the new drive is SATA-III and I've read that there are some issues with SATA-III SSD's in all but the current MBP's.

18. Philflow macrumors 65816

Its possible the price of the XT 750GB is going to take a significant hit in the coming weeks because normal production has started after the floods in Thailand.
    I get that. As far as I know all issues have been resolved with the latest EFI updates.

19. Maseison macrumors newbie

Maseison

What setup do you have? (just wanna make sure i don't do the same thing)

20. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Kudos for a nice accurate description of this drive. Especially as compared to the Scorpio which I've also used.

I'm always looking to optimize my Macs and PC's for speed and efficiency, so I've been through quite a few HDD, and SSD's looking for just the right combination.

l have been running the Momentus XT since their initial release. I have two installed in laptops, and one that I have in an enclosure as a portable backup drive. I like to take a complete clone of my system when I'm traveling abroad. This drive has filled that purpose very well.

With lots of hours on the them , they've been very trouble free and consistent in their performance. I'm quite satisfied.

21. ctyhntr macrumors 6502

ctyhntr

I have a 2009 15" MBP with Core 2 Duo. I upgraded my RAM to 8GB, would this help with iMovie 11 or FCPX rendering times in 1080p?

22. Tie macrumors newbie

Fantastic!

I just installed the Momentus XT 750gb earlier this morning after using CCC to copy all my stuff over. (really good feature on the beta that copies the recovery HD for lion). Everything runs much quicker especially apps that are launched frequently the algorithm they use to track what you access most seems to work very well. Some people have complained with the last drive (500gb) that the noise was too loud but I'm experiencing the opposite, even though the drive is 7200 rpm it actually seems quieter than the stock 5400 rpm drive my MBP came with. Overall it seems great so far, everything seems a bit more peppy than it was before. Would recommend to anyone that wants to increase performance without dropping some serious cash on a SSD as well as retaining a good amount of disk space.

23. Blue Sun macrumors 6502a

Can anyone comment how this drive runs on Macs with SATA-II?

24. sunnyj macrumors 6502

i want to replace the oem 5400 rpm drive the mbp shipped with and replace it with a WD scorpio black or the 750 momentus xt. i already have a ssd in the optibay which is going to remain as my boot drive but i need a drive to keep my videos on. i use my mbp for video editing so will i see a advantage in using a hybrid drive or should i just get the regular WD drive?

25. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

Sounds like a great drive. I may have to give this a try.

Thanks for posting your experiences!