750gb Momentus XT: now or later

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by punchdrunk55, Jan 31, 2012.

1. punchdrunk55, Jan 31, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2012

punchdrunk55 macrumors member

Just curious if any of you guys are keeping an eye on the global trade or have any insider info on if this drive will be dropping even more than it already has ($193 on amazon right now). I'm not in total desperate need of it but I sure could use the extra space.

My other thought is to sell it since it is on perfect condition and I can get a lot of my money back and just buying the new 2012 one when it comes out. I can survive on just having my imac and iphone for a while.

2. CorporateFelon macrumors regular

CorporateFelon

Hard Drive manufacturing took a major hit last fall with the floods in Thailand. Reduced stock and elevated prices. Analysts best guesses to having stock availability back to normal was around spring, no mention about prices. But My guess will be a little bit more time after that for prices to come back down to what we were seeing pre-diaster.

3. punchdrunk55 thread starter macrumors member

So it dropped another 15 buck on amazon and I forgot that I had 50 bucks in gift cards so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. I'll let everyone know how it works.

4. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

I'm very interested on about how it performs... In the near future I would like to change my SSD/Optibay-setup to a MomentusXT/Superdrive Setup, as I need the SSD for a new PC (Windows :D) Workstation.....

5. Higney85 macrumors newbie

The 750XT works great. Quick boot and app launches and while not as fast as an SSD it's a huge speed increase over a 5400 rpm drive for a fraction of the cost plus a bunch of space. Until SSD cost and capacity become "closer" to a conventional drive the hybrid works very well in my opinion. I did a good bit of research and it seems they learned a good bit from the 500GB and put it into the 750.

I couldn't be happier with mine. Of course, your views may vary.

6. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Had already ordered one when I saw that it had dropped on this forum! Called Amazon and they are crediting me the difference. Really looking forward to shifting my boot drive to this thing.... I plan to install Lion on it clean, then migrate from my existing drive and put the existing drive in one of the Optibay trays to retain my Bootcamp partition, and provide a spot to put big things I don't access much (like my iTunes library and some infrequently used vmware images).

Thanks for the pointer!

7. Trvlngnrs macrumors 6502

Trvlngnrs

I'm going to be getting one to. I have about 30gb free on my 500gb drive.

Is there a tutorial on changing the hard drive? I'm OK with the mechanical aspect, but am concerned about cloning, reinstalling the operating system and contents.

8. LordDextro macrumors newbie

750GB Momentus XT

Got one and installed it two days ago. Boot up time went from 40-45 seconds with the stock HD to 18-20 seconds with the Hybrid drive. Overall performance is the same with Geekbench. The drive (7200rpm) runs just as quiet as the stock 5400rpm. Most used applications open quicker after the second- third time using them. Battery life is the same as before.
    FYI

Love,
    Lord Dextro

9. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Carbon Copy Cloner is pretty straightforward. Stick the new drive in an external case, then clone, then swap.

10. LordDextro macrumors newbie

Believe it or not, I had a problem with copy cloner (wouldn't boot). Ended up using the utility that came with the software (disk utility) and a transfer kit cable. Perhaps I did something wrong, just wish there was a "restore" button instead of (only) a "copy" button.

Love,
    Lord Dextro

11. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

The new interface seems a little more cumbersome than needed, but I've never had any problems with it. I wonder what went wrong.

Yeah, Geekbench only tests CPU and memory performance. Even an SSD would make no difference to Geekbench. Your boot time is proof enough that you've made a pretty serious upgrade, though. I think this may be my next purchase too. It's either that or a small SSD and a 1TB in the optical bay, but I think I'm leaning to the XT now.

12. LordDextro macrumors newbie

I think it had something to do with the settings button between the "source" and "destination" I had it on "backup everything". Perhaps I should of had it on "Macintosh HD default"?

13. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

I had upgraded from a 320GB HDD to the 500GB Momentus XT in my old 13" MBP, and the disk performance improved noticeably. I just ordered the 750GB model for my 15" MBP. The 750GB also has twice the SSD cache of the 500GB model (8GB vs 4GB), so that should improve performance even more over the 500GB model.

14. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

I'm considering this drive to replace my 50OGB Momenuts XT in my 2011 MBP (w/ SATA III). One other better feature of the 750 from the 500GB version is the 6Gb/s data transfer rating. Am I correct that there is no way this would provide speed benefits because the bottleneck is elsewhere?

15. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

What I am planning (hoping) to do is use the OWC Data Doubler to put my existing drive in the Optical Drive Bay, then use a USB install image to put Lion 10.7.3 on the new drive in the main bay, then migrate from the Optical Bay drive to the new Momentus... Theoretically, this maintains my bootcamp partition, while putting my existing boot drive onto the new Momentus XT, and providing me with the leftover space on my old drive (not the bootcamp, but left over) in the optical bay location for large things like my iTunes library and a number of large vmWare images I have.... Seems like a good idea, anyway...

16. lewdvig macrumors 65816

When a 1TB SSD can be had for less than $1000 that is what I'll be getting.