750GB SATA HDD=$199!!! Fill up those Mac Pros AGAIN!!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by MovieCutter, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Nice find! Personally, since I'm not getting mine until June '08 (pain!), I'm going to wait and get one 1TB drive BTO from Apple (because they'll offer them by then) and then three more from Best Buy or the like (because they'll be CHEAPER by then). Four terabytes, here I come! Of course, by June '08 they'll probably have done 1.25TB drives...:p Curse you, technological advancements!

Edit: Isn't this against forum policy? Anyway, good find...

2. numlock macrumors 68000

Could anyone with more knowledge of hard drives tell me how loud or hot two of those would get in these double enclosures they sell at owc?

3. MovieCutter thread starter macrumors 68040

MovieCutter

Uh...no? :confused:

4. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Also External FW800/400/USB2 750GB Maxtor Only $250

Thanks for the tip. Bought 3 plus 2 Maxtor External FW800/400/USB2 750GB Drives for only $250. The case alone is worth up to $100 so this reps a major price drop for 750GB drives.

5. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

Holy Crap that is a good deal!

I don't think I have another $200 to spare...

6. basicfiend macrumors member

5 x 750GB + whatever you already had = more than 4 TB? Wow.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I'm sorry to be newbish about it... but does this drive work as an internal replacement on an iMac G5 2.0 / Rev. B (ALS) / 17" (to replace the 160GB drive)? I know it uses SATA, but I wasn't sure if there were any drive height or other issues that would prevent one from doing this?

8. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

Yes the Seagate 750GB SATA Drive Will Fit In Your iMac G5

No problem. Same size as smaller capacity drives. Go for it.

9. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Thank you! :) I gotta think about it... That one mounted in the external case sounded really good too... mmmm, I could swap the drives with my iMac and have a 160GB external! ;)

10. basicfiend macrumors member

11. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Man, if that were a Seagate Drive instead of a Maxtor, I would be all over it. Hopefully this represents a shift in drive prices for the time being. Hopefully WD or Seagate will jump on the bandwagon.

12. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

If you guys are interested in external drives, try Dell or Best Buy. They've been having specials this week.

13. Greenjeens macrumors regular

A couple of weeks ago I bought an external drive at Freys. Something like $250 for a 500GB HD seagate external. I needed to offload a very large itunes collection from a set of Mirrored drives, before trying to fix the problem.
    Could have been my fault pairing a Maxtor with a Seagate of similar (500GB 16mb)build and size, but apparently other Maxtors show invalid when installed as mirrors with some frequency. I'm not a Maxtor fan, but they all have bad lots of drives, which may account for a person liking or disliking any particular HD brand due to a bad one.
    I know Maxtor is owned by Seagate but it seems like Maxtor represents the bargain line.

With the new Free Agent Seagate external HDs, there's either a Dual FW OR USB SATA connectors. This is important, to get a dual FW drive you needed to unscrew the USB/SATA modual and replace it with the Dual Fire Wire ports modual.

I wonder, has anyone seen a seperate FW (dual) modual for the Free Agent Pro Seagate ext HD's?

Anyway, the next day Best Buy had a sale on 750 USB/SATA 750GB HDs for $199, so I returned the $250/500GB to Freys and had them match the Best Buy price. They kept me cooling my heels, while they were trying to call the local Best Buys for about 30 minutes. Finally got the external 750GB for $199+tax.

Works great!

Should have spent more on PCI card that clearly stated Mac compatability though.

I don't know how much lower HD prices can go? Seems very cheap, or were they just gouging before?
    I wish Drive Makers could be a little more accurate with the size of a hard drive capacity that's advertised and rely less on the fine print.
    The 750 GB HD turnes out to be 698GB.
    -
    Greenjeens

14. xyian macrumors 6502

xyian

Do you know if the drives in the Maxtor external are SATA or IDE? It might be worth buying the drive and then swapping out what's inside my iMac and putting it in the external case to have a terabyte.....

15. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Anybody know if the 750gb external maxtors work with an airport express ? Would be nice to throw 750gb out there on my network for the family to use.

16. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

Airport Extreme you mean?

17. BryanLyle macrumors 6502a

BryanLyle

Yes, duh. Airport EXTREME. Thanks for correcting me!

18. Counter macrumors 6502