750GB Seagate Momentus XT in Optical Bay

Discussion in 'iMac' started by freespeed, Mar 18, 2012.

1. freespeed macrumors member

So I just go through replacing the hard drive in my Mid-2007 iMac with a Samsung 830 256GB SSD and an additional 750GB Seagate Momentus XT in the Optical Bay with a SATA to PATA adapter. The computer is so much fast with the SSD it's like night and day, I recommend everyone do this upgrade before opting to by a new mac.

So here is my issue, the SSD works great, but the Seagate has a problem being recognized. In the initial startup it was recognized and worked fine, but than when I would go to open up a file it would freeze than it would unmount itself. I checked all the connections and they appear to be good. I'm thinking that the hard drive might be a little overkill for a PATA connection, since it is capable of 6Gb/s and the hard drive might not get enough power going through, but I checked the specs of the original superdrive and it's not all that different.

Could the fact that it has a 32MB cache make a difference? Any help would be great, I'd like to know whether to keep trying or replace the HD with something else.

Thanks in advance.

2. huskyte macrumors newbie

Hi freespeed,

my iMac8,1 was opened up yesterday night. I am still trying to find a working combination of SSD and hard disk, but I have the same problem as you. The initial recognition in the optical bay will not work with some disks. Obviously this depends on the optical bay itself. An old 200 GB 2.5" worked, the SSd doesn't, the same goes for 3.5" disks. My bet is that it simply won't allow enough power to go through the thin cables. I could try this and shortcut some power adapters, but on the other hand it might not be worth it.

3. jg900ss macrumors newbie

jg900ss

Possible avenue to explore on XT drives....

I have a suggestion on the Momentus XT drive. I have a MacBook Pro, 17" Core 2 Duo, and replaced the original drive with the 500 XT from Seagate. It worked OK for a day or so, but then started being VERY slow, and I imagined it was the problems of an SSD and wear. Well, after searching, I discovered that the Momentus XT hybrids have a firmware, and that it can be updated to fix problems. I extracted the drive (after a backup), and used a Windows machine to apply the firmware upgrade, reinstalled it, restored the OS X image and ZIPPEE! Worked great, and it was now clearly a little faster than the 500 it replaced, and certainly not giving me the same delays I was experiencing. It still is working fine a year later. In fact, I now have another MacBook Pro with a 750XT in prime spot, and a 750XT in place of the DVD drive (SATA attached) serving as the Time Machine drive, all under the covers. I now check the FIRMWARE for the drives regularly to see if there are updates. Just something to consider.