750GB WD Scorpio HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ranviper, Mar 7, 2011.

1. ranviper macrumors 6502a

ranviper

QQ for you smart guys. :rolleyes:

I'm relatively new to doing things myself in regards to computer hardware. Added a few memory sticks and replaced a couple HDD's before on some older notebooks. But, just wondering if this hard drive will fit into my 2010 13" MBP.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136835

Thanks in advance. :D

2. magbarn macrumors 68000

It's a sweet drive, use it as a supplement to my SSD, but it runs great on its own though. Some people are more sensitive to 7200rpm noise, but to me it's much quieter than the craptastic Seagate 7200.4 drives that Apple uses on their CTO 7200rpm drives.

3. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Thanks for the input. Yeah, Im not really worried about any sound, as I just had my fan replaced because of a broken ball bering, and the was NOISY! LoL.

I did read a lot of comments/feedback from the newegg site and a lot of people are saying they love it in their MB and MBP's so I am assuming it will fit fine. :D

4. false macrumors newbie

The drive will fit no problem. I put one in my MBP last week, it's a really simple install.

5. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

6. sk3tch macrumors regular

7. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

You right, I think Ill stick with the 750 and perhaps get an external later.

8. magbarn macrumors 68000

Unless you're going to pair up that 1TB drive with a SSD, don't do it. You'll be crippling your machine. I tried out both WD and Samsung's 1 TB drives and they're now in slow ass USB 2.0 enclosures. It was easier to make the sacrifice last year as these 1TB were double the size of the largest 7200rpm drive, but now 750gb is close in size.

9. ranviper thread starter macrumors 6502a

ranviper

Another QQ after a hard drive replacement. Since it will be bare, to re-install Mac OS should i just put the disc in the drive and turn in on, and then go from there? LoL.

10. magbarn macrumors 68000

Pretty much, or hold down the 'C' key when you turn on until the dvd drive starts to boot. Once in the OSX installer, you'll probably have to go into disk utilities in the menu above to setup the partition and format before you can start the install process. Unless I'm doing it wrong, win7 is actually better here as it will automatically partition and format an empty brand new drive for you.