750HDD+250SSD - need suggestions on setup w/ bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by pandastick, Nov 23, 2011.

1. pandastick macrumors newbie

Hey,

I've been scouting this forum but havent found info on moving system from HDD to SSD. And I mean moving, replicating, not re-installing.

HDD = 640GB
    SSD = 230GB or so

Currently only my HDD is in the laptop, I will be receiving the SSD in 2 days.
    I've got the HDD with 2 partitions, one running OSX and the other 20gb for BOOTCAMP.

My wish is to just move my whole system to the SSD except MEDIA, which I want to leave on the HDD.

I was thinking of just backing up the 400gb of media to an external drive, erasing it from the HDD, and then using super duper to clone the HDD to the SSD. I really do not feel like re-installing everything since it's all perfectly setup and I have absolutely no issues...

My need for suggestions applies to the following:
    1) Anyone have experience with just moving the whole system from HDD to SSD with LION?
    2) I want to move bootcamp as well, I do not have the choice with superduper :/

Thanks guys,
    Peter

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There used to be an app called winclone that could clone your bootcamp partition, but I don't think that's been updated for some time.

There's also Carbon Copy Cloner that you can use to clone your OSX volume, but it will copy everything.

Outside of the windows partition, I think it will be easier to install OSX and the apps manually, maybe with a TimeMachine restore of your data.

I'm not sure what options you have with bootcamp though