750m Outperforming m370x In Windows

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MartinAppleGuy, Oct 8, 2015.

1. MartinAppleGuy macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Friend went and installed Windows on his maxed out 15" MacBook Pro with the new m370x GPU and I got him to download and run Cinebench to see its GPU performance compared to mine. I'm running an iMac with an Nvidia GeForce GT 750m (1GB GDDR5 vs 2GB of the MacBook Pro variant) but when we both ran the test; well, here are the numbers...

750m: 72fps
    M370X: 47fps

Most likely due to bad driver support and there being no available updates for drivers on the AMD front, the new card performed considerably worse than my iMac. Neither of us were doing intensive tasks; and it definitely was running of the dedicated card. My friend at a later date put the laptop on high performance mode, and was able to push that score up to 60fps, but even then this is a drop from my iMacs GPU.

Is the iMacs 750m clocked higher or have a greater TDP? image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. dingobiatch macrumors member

My M370x performs terribly. It seems there is major thermal issues and/or driver issues. Might be related.

3. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

And if you did it in OSX it would be different and if you used a different benchmark and and and ... benchmarks are generally useless in isolation use notebookcheck.com for all your real world benchmarking information.

4. Fl0r!an macrumors 6502a

Cinebench is extremely CPU bound and not meaningful at all. In my MacPro, it'll report the exact same score for every GPU ranging from HD 5770 over Kepler-based Nvidias up to my R9 280.
    In real games performance differs at least by factor 2-3 in the same machine.

5. MartinAppleGuy thread starter macrumors 68020

MartinAppleGuy

Sadly Notebook check uses the awful DDR3 variant of the 750m; and not the rare GDDR5 found in the Macs and it performs very differently.

6. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603