Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mappyman

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 26, 2008
UK
I got a carrier update file today from O2.

Anyone tried it and does it break the jailbreak or is it just a file that changes the APN settings ?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Carrier file update

Just seen this pop up in my iTunes.

As I have the tethering hack, would this potentially break it?

Attachments

• Picture 11.jpg
    Picture 11.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 105

-aggie-

macrumors P6
Jun 19, 2009
Where bunnies are welcome.
Yes, that is the update to FW 3.0.1 and it potentially breaks the tethering hack, but I still have my JB, MMS and Tethering in place....

Did we get an update to the carrier settings from upgrading to OS 3.0.1? I haven't had my iPhone attached to my computer/Tunes for several days. However, I've noticed some flakey stuff with my connection (no sim card, jumping back and forth between wifi and EDGE).

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
Did we get an update to the carrier settings from upgrading to OS 3.0.1? I haven't had my iPhone attached to my computer/Tunes for several days. However, I've noticed some flakey stuff with my connection (no sim card, jumping back and forth between wifi and EDGE).
The reason we didn't get one is because he from England and dosen't have att.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK

O2 over here has been terrible at the moment. I'm not sure if it's just APN settings or blocks aswell.

I've since found 2 others posts talking about this. It seems it's O2 only :confused:

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
Yeah, that might be the update for your carrier file as you mentioned. My carrier file is AT&T 5.0, so I haven't seen an update to my carrier file yet. I wouldn't update my carrier file, if by chance it eliminates the tethering and MMS capability. And yes, it seems to be O2 people right?...:eek::eek::eek:

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Agreed. 3.0.1 is an OS update not a carrier update.

Yes, I know this. What I was pointing out was SFStateStudent suggested it was the update to 3.0.1 which it isn't.

@ SFStateStudent

My current Carrier file is O2 4.0

Hmm... I might get my sister to update hers and compare.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
UPDATE:

Ok heres the deal.

iPhone 3GS running 3.0.1 - No Carrier update

iPhone 3G - Calls for update

Original iPhone - Calls for update

Updated the original iPhone and Carrier file is now 4.4

SFStateStudent

macrumors 604
Aug 28, 2007
San Francisco California, USA
UPDATE:Updated the original iPhone and Carrier file is now 4.4

Congrats OP, everything is making sense to me NOW....:p:p:p

Why does my Carrier version say ATT 4.0? Should I get it to 5.0? How/why?

AT&T carrier 5.0 was available via the benm hack of several weeks ago, so it might be difficult to find it and get the MMS and Tethering working at this point...:eek::eek::eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.