768Gb SSD 2013 13" Macbook Air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by shfawaz, Jan 6, 2014.

1. shfawaz macrumors newbie

shfawaz

Is it possible to take the 768Gb SSD pulled from a working Macbook Pro and have it replace a 128Gb SSD? If so, does it have to be a 2013 Haswell model? Has anyone done this?

2. Resplendent macrumors member

From what I have seen, it looks to be possible. iFixit's teardown showed the 2013 rMBP's SSD to be the same type as the 2013 MBA's.

3. TomBlack macrumors newbie

It should be, but it needs to be a retina Macbook Pro on haswell. Looking at the prizes it is not very cheap at all and you don't know how will it work with the mba.

I suggest making better friends with the retina Macbook pro's.

4. jamezr macrumors G3

jamezr

You can upgrade the SSD on the 2013 MBA. But it is very expensive to do so. Here is a link to an eBay auction for a 512 SSD for a 2013 MBA.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-haswell-MacBook-AIR-512GB-SSD-Samsung-only-for-2013-upgrade-monkey-/261269863831?pt=US_Solid_State_Drives&hash=item3cd4e5bd97

5. shfawaz thread starter macrumors newbie

shfawaz

Thanks for all the responses. I'm aware of the expense and costs, I'm just wondering if a 768Gb SSD found in the 2013 Haswell Macbook Pro's will work in a Macbook Air. So fair, I haven't heard from anyone that has done this. Anyone?

6. Robyr macrumors regular

I would recommend that you call iFixit and ask if the parts are identically specced as far as IO port design and form factor of the package. They are super helpful, and their warranty is impeccable, should something not function quite right. They will likely be able to answer a lot of these questions.