780 GTX Boot problems in 2009->2010 MP with nVidia Web Drivers

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gsloan, Oct 18, 2013.

1. gsloan macrumors member

Has anyone else tried the latest nVidia Web Drivers with a MVC GeForce 780GTX? I'm perfectly fine with the Apple-supplied drivers, but the nVidia web drivers leave me at an Apple Screen at boot with a mouse cursor. If I hard shut down the system, it will come back up just fine with the nVidia drivers, but reboots result in the white screen.

Cheers,
    Geoff

2. J-MI macrumors member

I have 780GTX EVGA MVC. Works fine with Nvidia web driver or OSX driver under OSX 10.8.5 and MacPro 5.1

3. gsloan thread starter macrumors member

Running 10.8.5 here as well...but just can't get past the initial boot with grey apple...again, second time after power cycling it works - It's also an eVGA card. No clue what's going on.

4. sunnyj macrumors 6502

i just ordered the gtx 780 from MacVidCards and i hope i don't have this issue!

5. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Try verbose mode when rebooting and see on what it hangs. PRAM reset won't hurt too.

6. MacVidCards Suspended

I will investigate. We have a thread at Netkas about Titans having issue with Web driver, has bypassed 780s so far. A PRAM reset puts you back on OSX drivers and fixes it. All tested versions of 10.9 have had 0 (ZERO) issues with either card. This includes the GM.

Will be in the lab in 2 hours or so and see if I can recreate. We can do what sheep666 suggested and see what is hanging, I have a feeling NVIDIA guys read this board occasionally and would probably fix if they know what issue is.

Using identical cards, with identical roms on nearly identical 3,1s I have the issue with Titan but Netkas' boots right to desktop every time. So it is some small thing that doesn't affect everyone.

Quick fix is PRAM reset.

7. J-MI macrumors member

Is it possible that problem affects only EFI patched 3.1 or 4.1 to 5.1 MacPro.
    It will be interesting to know if somebody has similar problem with a "stock" 5.1 EFI ? On mine, no problem.
    I hope you will find a way to help him because your GTX780 or Titan modded cards are a fantastic upgrade for the Mac Pro.

8. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

Read this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1651341&highlight=web

The Nvidia Web Drivers worked find for me in 10.8.5 and 10.8.5 Supplemental with the GTX780.

Lou

9. MacVidCards Suspended

I have been unable to recreate issue on a 3,1. But there are 4 or 5 different GTX780 roms I have had to write and I only had 2 cards to try here.

Will try tonight on 4,1/5,1.

The issue seems kind of random, but there must be a unifying thread.

10. gsloan thread starter macrumors member

This has been consistently failing for me on current and previous web drivers. I have not attempted Mavericks yet. However, I'm hoping that I won't be locked into Apple drivers post-Mavericks if this is a nVidia Web Driver interaction with my card.

11. jmacfichet macrumors newbie

how to install geforce gtx 780 in mac pro 2010 ?

Hello, I've bought a geforce gtx 780 and I try to install in a mac pro 2010. I removed the old radeon 5770 and put the geforce gtx 780. Nothing appears on the screen. When I open the mac pro, the geforce seems working. However, do I need more power ?
    Is there a way or a method to do it properly ?

Many thanks for the help in advance

12. JM-Prod macrumors regular

I just got this issue with a GTX580 3GB, just a grey screen with the new web-drivers for OS X 10.9.2 - PRAM-reset brings everything back to normal, frustrating...

13. JM-Prod macrumors regular

...anyone else having issues with the new web-drivers? They won't let my machine start up at all, never had this issue before...

14. Airjarhead macrumors newbie

Airjarhead

I'm having this issue now with a GTX 560 Ti. It has always worked fine, but last night I did a fresh install of Mavericks, and now I can't get the web driver to work.
    Everyone seemed pretty determined to fix this when it was first discussed, then the thread went cold. Anyone find a fix?

15. flowrider macrumors 601

flowrider

^^^^The Nvidia Web Drivers have been upgraded several times since the March post, and the new drivers seemed to alleviate the issues with the Rev "B" chip. Since you have a GTX 560, that issue isn't relevant to you. Are you sure your using the latest Mavericks OS (10.9.4) and Web Driver available here:

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/76505/en-us

Also the Cuda drive is now at version 6.0.54.

Lou

16. Airjarhead macrumors newbie

Airjarhead

Yessir. Newest driver, and newest CUDA version. Will only work with OSX default. If I try setting to Nvidia Web driver, I get a gray screen on reboot.

17. Airjarhead macrumors newbie

Airjarhead

I'm not giving up on this. Would love to hear if there is a fix.
    As I said above, I have a non-flashed 560ti in a Mac Pro 4,1. I have now tried 4 different versions of web drivers. All the same result. White(grey) screen on boot. On reboot (reset PRAM), I get back to the desktop screen, but it is using OSX drivers.
    Anyone?

Thanks