780M 4Gb, how good is it?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by strukt, Oct 16, 2013.

1. strukt macrumors member

strukt

I have trouble finding how games perform with this card in the new iMac. I am particularly interested to know how it performs on an maxed out iMac with the titles from blizzard at max settings. Sc2, d3, wow.

Is it even playable? And yes, I know it's best/cheapest to get a PC for games.

2. X-Ravin macrumors regular

Those games should be maxable, none of them are particularly demanding. The 780 is on par with a desktop 660Ti, so look up benchmarks for that.

3. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Got my iMac yesterday.. i installed Starcraft 2 and Team Fortress 2.
    Everything on maximum. really smooth.. Didnt get any fps since i dont know how :)
    If you tell me i may try now.

4. strukt thread starter macrumors member

strukt

Tjosansa: Thanks for answering! Are you running in max resolution? To check the frame rate on a Mac, while you are in a game hit: Control+Option+F. Could you do that for me please? :)

5. alkar macrumors regular

can you guys please test Dota 2 too on OSX ?

I have it on some other Mac, and it runs real ****, compared to Windows (60fps).

I'm starting to believe that the OSX port is just buggy as hell. But who knows, maybe the power of the iMac is enough to run a ****** port ?

It should run at 60fps...

6. alexgaribay, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

alexgaribay macrumors newbie

It runs pretty smooth for the most part. I've had to play with some settings in the console to get things to run better. Mainly things like preloading resources at the beginning of a match. However, I get occasional choppiness which I can't figure out how to fix but it doesn't stop me from playing. I usually get 100+ fps but I don't have shadows or AA on. I think it's a game issue rather than graphics card issue.

7. alkar macrumors regular

it is a game issue, it should run with AA and fully maxed at 60fps. I can run it at 50-60fps on a 7 year old PC so....

Quite sad such a beast has issues running it on OS X... Obviously it would run at 60fps+ on Windows, but that's not the point here !

8. Tjosansa macrumors regular

Tjosansa

Ok. now i played 4 vs 4 to try it.. i had 80 fps. with some action around there was 50 fps..
    When we had battles it went as low as 20-25 fps but that was a short time only.

All on ultra and aa was on.

9. strukt thread starter macrumors member

strukt

Great, thanks!

Maybe ill just get my credit card ready :eek:

10. Nazmor, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013

Nazmor macrumors newbie

780m i7 512 ssd bootcamp drivers windows 8.1 without overclocking

Wow - all ultra 2xAA 1440p. Pandaria starting location 55-60fps, storm wind , ironforge etc. 60fps
    Diablo 3- all maxed 1440p. 100+ fps at starting location, with vsync on always solid 60 in dungeons with whole screen full of mobs

CPU and gpu temperatures in game stay around 80C, really quiet almost silent, you will have to stay 5cm from imac to hear it, I guess there is a big room for overclocking for more demanding games in the future

11. strukt thread starter macrumors member

strukt

That's pretty nice numbers you got in bootcamp!

12. TouchMint.com macrumors 68000

TouchMint.com

This is pretty cool to see.

Has anyone done a comparison of last years max imac card and this years max imac card? how much of an improvement is it?

13. Bear macrumors G3

Depending on what you're doing, it's a couple of percent to maybe 10%. Where the 780M is a big win are applications/games that will take advantage of the 4GB of VRAM. And yes there are games out there that need more than 2GB of VRAM for best operation.

14. Davnet75 macrumors newbie

Very good! How many ram have you got inside? 8, 16, 24, or 32?

15. Qu1ckset macrumors member

Qu1ckset

I like all these results can't wait to get my maxed out 27" iMac next week!

16. Nazmor macrumors newbie

8GB, I think for gaming should not make any difference if it is 8 or 32, e.g. looking at task manager d3 and wow use up to 3GB only, even if you use a lot of addons for wow and play raids then 8GB should be more than enough. There may be some very demanding games but I don't know any that would benefit from more than 8GB (I am not a gamer though so I can be wrong here), even for BF4 8GB is enough.

17. elithrar macrumors 6502

elithrar

770 specs, 760 clocks. You can get a pretty solid overclock out of it with minimal temp increase.