7950 drivers in MP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by brentsg, Oct 14, 2014.

1. brentsg macrumors 68040

I recall that my NV 680 was performing quite well vs the AMD 7950 when it was launched. Did the 7950 driver support shape up, or is it still problematic?

I am growing tired of boot and sleep issues with my EVGA 680 coupled with the LG 21:9 display and I'm considering giving AMD a try to see if I can resolve the annoyances.

I'm currently using Mavericks, but will upgrade.

2. thefredelement macrumors 65816

thefredelement

I have a 7970 that was modified by MacVidCards that I got on eBay and it works great.

I'm not sure what graphic intensive stuff you'll be doing but things for me run good from games to FCPX.

I haven't benchmarked it in any specific way, I just open a game or an app and do what I have to do.

I'm on 10.10 but have had the card since 10.9 and didn't have any boot screen or driver issues, just plugged it and there it was.

I bought a 32" Samsung 2560x1440 screen last week that I threw on and it worked right away also (sent it back b/c the frame wasn't level at the top of screen, hugely annoying with the Mac menu bar with the monitor situated at my eye level).

3. fuchsdh macrumors 6502a

Performance of my flashed 7950 is solid; haven't had any sleep/wake issues or seen any display glitches.

4. brentsg thread starter macrumors 68040

Love to hear from someone that's using the LG display, since that seems to be at the root of my troubles.