Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Computerworld reveals that Apple quietly acquired mapping company Placebase back in July.
Placebase is similar to Google Maps in that it is a mapping service and has the world mapped out. You can zoom in and out and it has different layers you can superimpose over your mapping data.
Placebase CEO Jaron Waldman LinkedIn profile now listed his position as part of the "Geo Team" at Apple.

232854-geoteam.png

The obvious interest Apple would have in the company would be the mapping content and expertise that they are currently relying on Google for in their iPhone maps application. Placebase, however, also offered additional functionality that is not currently available in Google's offerings that Apple could theoretically take advantage of. This primarily involves the aggregating of different data sets onto maps. PolicyMap was given as an example of this aggregate functionality.

Article Link: Apple Acquired Mapping Company Placebase in July

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Good move by Apple.

Apple has a ton of cash on hand, surprised there hasn't been more acquisitions like this recently.

LanPhantom

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2007
Hooper, UT
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7C144 Safari/528.16)

Screw GoogleMaps, let them have it for they're doomed Android OS phone. Hello Apple Maps!!

dwman

macrumors 6502
Nov 15, 2007
San Francisco
Hm, could this be the beginning of the end for the Apple/Google relationship? :eek: I hope not. They make a great team.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Hm, could this be the beginning of the end for the Apple/Google relationship? :eek: I hope not. They make a great team.

This is called leverage and inevitability.

Google has a strangle hold on Mapping [Yahoo yes, but that's got Microsoft all over it] and with Google's everything is should be a distributed networking client/server model this ensures Apple and it's upcoming Data Centers are ready to flip the switch as an additional back-end service for Apple customers.

The US Government was smart to used OpenstreetMap to aid in their neutrality for web services.

This keeps Google humble and weakens their "leverage" over Apple.

Placebase has a nice API: http://collections.pushpin.com/

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA
Put Steve in charge of mapping!

Let him focus 100% of his efforts just on mapping!

(but what will happen to Google Street View? :eek: )
I like Street View. And so does augmented reality.

Apple may really like the idea of having their own, in-house mapping, but we can't ignore that Google has one hell of a great mapping (and data and Google) search and info/data services built into their mapping.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Put Steve in charge of mapping!

Let him focus 100% of his efforts just on mapping!

(but what will happen to Google Street View? :eek: )
I like Street View. And so does augmented reality.

Apple may really like the idea of having their own, in-house mapping, but we can't ignore that Google has one hell of a great mapping (and data and Google) search and info/data services built into their mapping.

Apple sends out their own teams to do the same with mapping.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003

Now that they're competitors, that whole "team" thing doesn't seem to have a very bright future.

Seems Google is expanding its war to multiple fronts - Apple would be wise to build up the defenses.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
wonder how long until Apple blocks the Google map app from the iphone.

This followed by blocking TomTom and other GPS mapping software from the iPhone claiming it "core function" bs like they did with the GV

pake

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2006
Delft
Now that they're competitors, that whole "team" thing doesn't seem to have a very bright future.

Seems Google is expanding its war to multiple fronts - Apple would be wise to build up the defenses.

I fully agree. We don't want Google deciding one day and saying to Apple: "this is it, we are competitors and we can't share this anymore"; and Apple not being ready.

MacFly123

macrumors 68020
Dec 25, 2006
This is an interesting move.

Sure is. I think they are just hedging their bets. Did anyone see a dollar figure anywhere??? :confused:

I think it will be best if Apple just lets the company keep functioning like a subsidiary and doesn't try to be the king of maps. Focus on your strengths Apple and let these map guys keep doing their thing! :cool: Sounds like this is what they are doing.

LEStudios

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2007

Was that the part where Google told FCC that Apple denied their Google Voice App? Now if Apple make a better Search engine than Google! :rolleyes:

BTW

macrumors 6502
Mar 4, 2007
What's a better app than a mapping one to use a compass in? Seems to me Apple will incorporate the API into the iPhone OS and let developers have at it.

iphones4evry1

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2008
California, USA

I can just see the future now... Apple - Google feud results in Google blocking iPhones from accessing any and all Google websites :eek:
on the premise that Apple blocks Android from iTunes.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I can just see the future now... Apple - Google feud results in Google blocking iPhones from accessing any and all Google websites :eek:
on the premise that Apple blocks Android from iTunes.

Such a move would be stupid. What Apple did was buy some insurance AND now have the capability to enhance their map api in patented ways that will give the iPhoneOS unique advantages. It may be years before anyone sees the fruits of this; just like with their purchase of the chip company. Strategic planning means moving large blocks into place before they are needed.

TB Apple

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2009
Bellmore, NY
Policy map is scary,as in Orwell's<u>1984</u>) good.

Its worth watching the quick demo then playing with it a bit.

The free version at this link is all you need: Policy map

I'm sure Apple will make some obvious and not-so-obvious improvements on Google Maps with the, now in-house, creators at Placebase

guet

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2003
I fully agree. We don't want Google deciding one day and saying to Apple: "this is it, we are competitors and we can't share this anymore"; and Apple not being ready.

Apparently Apple has already decided this (that they can't share) - see Google Voice and now this. It's a shame really, as Google has a lot to offer Apple, and it looks like Apple's customers will be shut out from useful services because of the rivalry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.