$799 for 128gb iPad Pro 12.9 at Staples

Discussion in 'iPad' started by JamesGoodman, Aug 16, 2016.

1. JamesGoodman macrumors member

I must say that for someone, like me, for whom the differences in the Pro 2 aren't going to make a difference, that is a very tempting price.

2. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I guess my worry would be that it's easy to dismiss the 12.9 Pro 2 without seeing what it is or how it will be priced. In the past, first generation iPhone, iPad, and iPad Mini have looked pretty bad compared to gen 2. There's no reason to think the iPad Pro will be immune from this, and we might be less than a month away from a new announcement.

3. JamesGoodman thread starter macrumors member

Yes, absolutely, I share your worry, which is probably why I'll end up waiting.

I am in a strange position. After thirty years of using laptops and notebooks, and getting used to the widest variety of keyboards, I absolutely can't get used to and can't stand the keyboard on the new MacBooks. And I fear that the new MacBook Pros are going to have similar keyboards. My imagined work around is a iPad pro with the Smart Keyboard (which I like the feel of more than the MacBook) on the road and any number of possible keyboards at home.

4. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

As someone who got in on this deal the last time that Staples offered it, $799 for a beast of a tablet is a great price, IMO. Considering what potential enhancements Apple could add to a hypothetical iPP2, I don't think that those added features are worth an addition $150 over the Staples sale price.

Anyone who is willing to wait to see if Apple announces an iPP2 needs to wait an additional 1-3 months beyond the announcement for a similar sale on THAT model.

5. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

More like anyone who is gonna wait for september or this year with no news of it will probably end up feeling "Darn it, I should of gotten it without having buyer's remorse."

6. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

That is a good price. Two and a half months from now during Black Friday, I'm thinking we will see even more drops in prices. This will also be the one year anniversary for the 12.9 iPad Pro.

7. Coolpher macrumors regular

Coolpher

There are plenty of great deals out there on the 12.9 2015 model I would jump on one of the deals because even if they do release for Gen two this year you will not see price deals on it for another six months and this current Gen has Great specs as it is already I would buy one if I hadn't already right now

8. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

that is the conventional wisdom but it is usually wrong. for the last three Black Fridays, the deals were not as good as staples sales.

9. Coolpher macrumors regular

Coolpher

I agree completely

10. doboy macrumors 68000

I could see it being $200 off at Target during BF, but not much cheaper.

11. Relentless Power macrumors P6

Relentless Power

I also think it depends on your local big box stores and what they have to offer during Black Friday. No two locations will be the same with what is offered. If I recall correctly, Staples had nothing to offer on Black Friday last year in my area, when other distributors did. That's not to say Staples does not have weekly or monthly deals, but In my area, I found some very lucrative deals at other competitors. They are their if you take the time to research. And Most will price match to earn your business.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 17, 2016 ---
    Agreed. $200.00 would probably be the maximum, without the Store not making anything.

12. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Again, that is what the conventional wisdom has been over the past 3 years. It didn't happen. BF is not the killer bargain day it once was.

I apologize if I sound like I'm raining on people's parades, but I've been around this forum long enough to see people pass up excellent deals now to wait for the mythical killer deal later only to be disappointed.

There has never been a Black Friday deal that met or exceeded the sales going on throughout the year at places like Staples (and price-matched at Best Buy).

13. doboy macrumors 68000