Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
User Iriejedi wrote in reporting that, "Low memory (64 megs) and slow backside cache and a normal CD-rom drive are the trade off for cost - but for $799 the 500MHz G3 machince is not a bad starting point for low end users...

Now available at the Apple Store!"

It's there alright. Nice to have an iMac with a pricepoint this low in the back in the lineup. 64MB is pretty slim, but then memory costs about the same as water these days. Good news.

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
I find it very interesting that Apple releases a mac that can't even run their latest OS!

Originally posted by Macrumors
User Iriejedi wrote in reporting that, "Low memory (64 megs) and slow backside cache and a normal CD-rom drive are the trade off for cost - but for $799 the 500MHz G3 machince is not a bad starting point for low end users...

Now available at the Apple Store!"

It's there alright. Nice to have an iMac with a pricepoint this low in the back in the lineup. 64MB is pretty slim, but then memory costs about the same as water these days. Good news.

Pelorus

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2001
Originally posted by snowman
I find it very interesting that Apple releases a mac that can't even run their latest OS!

I think a lot of people are happy to have that seeing as a 512MB chip can be got for less than $100.

And of course...this new iMac is not available in Europe. In the US you can get an iMac for ..$799...in the UK it's £799.

($799 is about £550)

M.

snowman

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2001
Yes, but that makes it more interesting! Why did they not add some extra RAM then, seeing that it's so cheap?

Originally posted by Pelorus
Originally posted by snowman

I think a lot of people are happy to have that seeing as a 512MB chip can be got for less than $100.

And of course...this new iMac is not available in Europe. In the US you can get an iMac for ..$799...in the UK it's £799.

($799 is about £550)

M.

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Yeah, unfortunately everything over here costs a hell of alot. I went to a poxy little place in kensington, and a coffee cost £4.

Pants

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2001
Originally posted by spikey
Yeah, unfortunately everything over here costs a hell of alot. I went to a poxy little place in kensington, and a coffee cost £4.

the best and most obvious rip off at teh moment is teh conversion of euros to pounds. go to Zara menswear - a spanish shop in london, and they are daft enough to use one price label for all of Europe. Anyone with half a brain can obviously see that 60 euros does not equal 60 quid, but thats what they are having you for! Rip off britain me presumes....

hey, as for apples comedy memory pricing - why is this? is it because they bought vast amounts of ram a year and half back? or are they really taking apple customers for mugs??

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Education price

Funny how the same exact low-end iMac at the education store is priced at $849. Ususally, the Education hardware is $50 less, not more.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
ok in catalogs

the iMac in a catalog with extra ram means that the world of mac has its hands on the pulse of the IT industry again and that is good

Dell has caused this drop in prices for computers and Apple is small enough to mobilize and adjust to any fast changes unlike HP-Compaq, which put too much stock in LANs and WANs being too concerned about supporting the backbone of the now injured dot.com revolution

Apple was smart and stuck to the home computing sector which has stayed steady but never enjoyed the 1999-2000 mirage of the dot.com revolution which was supposed to shut down shopping malls and mom and pop stores...it even made MBA students drop out of school and join startups...like me

I give credit to Apple to stick to home computing because for now, that is still the future for quite some time to come...I dread the day when all our personal information will be kept on some remote server somewhere free of charge so we can give someone our info in exchange for a duummy ternimal for free like some cell phone

the self contained iMac is still the king of the hill and safe...except ffom those hacker types of which some belong to macrumors

scottstover

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2001
IMAC $799/$949

At Micro Center they are listed in the POS for $829 as usual and another listed for $949 with the same specs as the $999 Indidigo Imac. Perhaps Apple has intent to get rid of most of their stock before the holidays? Estimated time of delivery is 1-2 weeks. In reality, that means 2-3 weeks

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
memory prices

I just had a user call me asking about the new iMac. I told her not to get the extra memory from either Apple, or MacWarehouse (both over-charge on RAM pricing). You can find a 256MB memory stick for the iMac for about $30 plus shipping and tax (if it applies). A 512MB runs just under $60.

With memory pricing where it is currently, you can crank your computer to max for a song (a cheap song at that).

If anyone is interested check out the prices at http://www.mohawkmem.com... I have personally used their memory on a wide range of computers and they have always been rock solid (even when Apple did the firmware update that nuked some cheaper memory).

Peace

ebound

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2001
EGV, IL
500 mHz on the cheapest iMac? My Mac came from Apple with all those configs (RAM, HD size, VRAM), and a 450 mHz G3, for 1100 bucks! It's not even a year old yet! It's sage, and its beautiful, but now I feel obsolete. Fudge. And I'm a high school student, so money don't come quite as easy to me. Grr...

scottstover

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2001
every six months

Originally posted by ebound
500 mHz on the cheapest iMac? My Mac came from Apple with all those configs (RAM, HD size, VRAM), and a 450 mHz G3, for 1100 bucks! It's not even a year old yet! It's sage, and its beautiful, but now I feel obsolete. Fudge. And I'm a high school student, so money don't come quite as easy to me. Grr...
><>
You're Imac can be three months old and it would be considered old news. If you are lucky, you can pick up an Imac for half the price in retail nine months after it was released. Just the way technology goes. I see it every day!
><>

T

Thorn in your Side

This is a rumors site or WTF?

I am surprised there has been no post about the latest Bare Feats discovery that OS X 10.1 is fast and an 800 DP G4 runs about as fast in Quake III as a P4 1.6ghz.

Instead a week old parroting of old news that a new low-end iMac was released.

Golly! I would have just gone over to Windoze if I had not seen this "report" on macrumors.com!!

What other feats of the obvious will we get next? Sony still sells Playstation One units?!? The X-Box is delayed yet again?!? Halo has been rewritten for the millionth time and will ship in 2003 on the X-Box 2?!?

:eek: ...holding my breath!

digitalrampage

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2001
Sydney, Australia
Been available in Oz for quite a while

This "Special" model has been available in Australia since the last release. ($1895 AU)

Things are looking good for sales in Australia though. I work in a AppleCentre (In Australia these are no way run by Apple.. which sucks) and sales on the G4 and the 700mhz iMac which hit our shelves last week in Australia have been better then usual.

Not to mention the iBook have wings attached to their boxes. Those things fly out the door, esp. COMBO and DVD models

Cheers

Aj

MacDoc

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2001
Re: Education price

Actually--

If you look the 799 iMac is 749 for education.....

Originally posted by Classic
Funny how the same exact low-end iMac at the education store is priced at $849. Ususally, the Education hardware is $50 less, not more.

Classic

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2001
Re: Re: Education price

Originally posted by MacDoc
Actually--

If you look the 799 iMac is 749 for education.....

Yeah, but that just happened a few days ago, and went for $849 for about two weeks after the regular price dropped to $799.... But thanks for the insight.

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
add more RAM

Come to think of it, since RAM is so so cheap...Apple should just put 128 MB in their entry level machine for good measure

Dell has a killer entry level machine for $599 so Apple needs to always keep on their toes so that they don't become a Dell casualty like Compaq (the retail PC leader) and Hewlett-Packard (printer and ink leader)...two companies referred to as two stones tied together trying to float when either giant didn't do so well by themselves

Dell has Gateway in his sights and even the brilliant upstart e-machines can be taken down

I guess there is something good about being small like Apple so they can manuever around a genius like Mike Dell

Most new users don't know that Macs are better and those newbies are the ones who will determine Apple's future since half of all American adults don't have computers yet (and that's just among the "citizens")

My neighbor who makes six digits a year, wears three or four thousand dollar suits made in Italy, and has a 60 grand BMW, has no idea how a personal computer would help his life in any way

Apple can really cash in when the digital divide becomes something of the past...a return to a 10 percent market share would be great because I am sick of seeing beige towers everywhere I go in late-2001

Hey, we have Steve Jobs and depending the the quarterly results, that can be a good thing or a bad thing

spikey

macrumors 6502a
Apr 26, 2001
Stupid as it sounds i think apple put 64megs ram in for 2 reasons:
1) selling as some education machine they wont need OSX and a great gaming platform powerful multiprocessor blahdey blah blah. So the keep it to a minimum for DTP and cr*p like that.
(although that doesnt help the migration to OSX at all and it would be amissed oppurtunity to teach thick people OSX is a kickass OS and a Mac can seriously F*ck a PC.)
2) i think apple do it to make more of a distinguishment between that and the model above it. There probably isnt enough of a performance gap compared to the gap in price, of the 2 models. although im lazy and i havent checked the latest prices.

Also apple will always have a market of their own (intelligent people, no-hassle people, people of style). PC companies dont have this advantage Apple do.
PC companies cant tap into that market because PCs will never be as user friendly, as good looking and as crash free.
They cant tap into that mac market unless apple make a blunder (like the 500Mhz one motorola did a while back).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.