Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrazyForCashews

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2018
To always buy the most expensive of anything as a basis for thinking you’re getting a product so much better is playing into their marketing.
The 2018 iPad Pros are the best tablets on the market. There is nothing else out there with the tech that they pack.

DaGrandMastah

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2011
This does suck - 150 is a large price increase. I'll likely sell my existing ipad pro 10.5 and put the money towards the new ipad but I plan to wait until Black Friday to make the plunge - hoping to see some discounts from retailers.

Kendo

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Last year I got a 10.5" WiFi 256GB for $749. This year, the 11" 256GB is $949. Add in the $30 Pencil increase and $20 Keyboard increase and we are looking at a $250 jump for the equivalent model with accessories. Do you honestly see $250 worth of upgrades from the 10.5 to the 11?

I agree with what you are saying. Of course every year a new iPad will get better but that doesn't mean the price automatically goes up because they make advancements. A toaster from 2010 and 2018 will still relatively cost the same as would a car (Honda model from 2010 vs 2018). Apple seems to keep raising the roof on their prices simply because they can while we tend to justify them as "improvements" ("Well it has Face ID now and a better display.").

Bravia3d

macrumors regular
Nov 9, 2013
Here in Japan it is ridiculous, we pay $150 more over US retail. 898 starting for the 11in 64gb model, just to damn expensive.

ahostmadsen

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
Even though I love my apple products, for this kind of price I’d probably start looking at a nicer/premium windows laptop/surface book pro kind of option.
Exactly. I have an iPhone, iPad pro, MacBook, Apple Watch. I'm staying with Apple because of the ecosystem integration, which cannot be beaten. But now Apple is increasing prices across the board. The price of the ecosystem might be too high. If I jump ship, I will drop Apple completely: replace my iPhone with an Android, the iPad/MacBook with a surface pro, and the Watch with Fitbit. Still not there, but not far...

Cashmonee

macrumors 65832
May 27, 2006
Exactly. I have an iPhone, iPad pro, MacBook, Apple Watch. I'm staying with Apple because of the ecosystem integration, which cannot be beaten. But now Apple is increasing prices across the board. The price of the ecosystem might be too high. If I jump ship, I will drop Apple completely: replace my iPhone with an Android, the iPad/MacBook with a surface pro, and the Watch with Fitbit. Still not there, but not far...

I think this is the real risk. I myself have been using Apple products since 2006, and for the first time this year built my own Windows PC. It is the first non-Apple product that I have purchased in over a decade simply because the cost made me take a peak over the fence. The Surface is getting better and better, and Android already has several options that compete very well against iPhone. I hate to say it, but if this is the trajectory, I may start unraveling my Apple ecosystem (that includes an iMac, 2 MacBook Pro's, 2 iPad Pros, 3 Apple TVs, 3 iPhone's). I really don't think Apple wants to lose a customer like myself and their practice of taking away relevant features, adding irrelevant features, and then charging more are really starting to make me think.

UbuntuFu

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2007

Can't get away from iOS because of my family and friends. I tried and got a Samsung S7 with GearVR but because I wasn't using iMessage whenever someone would send a video to the group it would be tiny and compressed. So after a year I had to switch back to an iPhone. Still using my S7 as a WiFi device though.

I am looking into a Surface Pro 6 though. Costco has the basic model i5, 8gb, 128gb ssd, with keyboard and pen for $999. I use Windows at work and I have an Xbox so I'm leaning towards Microsoft more especially if Apple isn't providing value. I still like my 2016 9.7" iPad Pro that I bought for 500 new two years ago, just not willing to upgrade to the new model when it still runs iOS compared to the SP6 which runs full Windows 10.

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
The unfortunate part is LTE models rarely go on sale (apart from carrier promos requiring 2-year commitment).

I always go to Swappa, even for unopened iPads. I found a great deal on my 10.5 cellular and jumped on it immediately. It’s even my favorite color they offer... rose gold. It’s still in mint condition. Battery life is awesome on it. I don’t remember exactly what I paid for it but it was around $650.

$950 for the new one.....

Reactions: SHKLMRE

droog

Suspended
Apr 10, 2018
I'm not going to pay 1k plus to draw on my ipad but I can see how people would try and use these to replace their computers as their every day computing devices. I am rather curious to see what the hands on reviews have to say, although I highly doubt there is a use case that will sway me. I'll just get a refurb or used one and call it a day.

Kal-037

macrumors 68020
I was going to upgrade no matter what, but the ridiculous increase gave me some severe anxiety... then I remembered I’m a student and cancelled my initial Order and got the 12.9” Silver, 256GB for $1,099. Do I wish it was $1,049 or $999?... yes, but the specs and features I’ve seen justify some sort of price increase. But I think $50-100 would have sufficed.
Either way I’m grateful Apple offers student discounts.

Kallum.

Mellofello808

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
iPads unlike iPhones often go on really good sales. If the price is too high then have a little patience. I managed to get $200 off my 12.9 iPad pro when best buy was having a sale.

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
My thinking is that tablets (iPads) need replacing much more often than desktops or even laptops. After all, the latter are not so heavily dependent on battery life, which affects longevity. My 2009 Mac Mini is still running just fine.

So cranking up prices on iPads to laptop/desktop levels generates huge additional profits due to higher iPad replacement turnover. This is why I resist making the iPad my primary computer.

Reactions: B.A.T

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
I think the way to think about this is that A) they haven't really gotten rid of the 10.5 ipad yet, it's SAME price as yesterday. B) this is a BETTER ipad than that so it's 150$ more than the 10.5" ipad. C) +cellular is 150$ more than wifi, historically it was only 130$ more, so with the new radios (which includes wireless charing for the pencil) it's 20$ more than last years upgrade to wifi+cellular.

i think the screen, edge to edge, speed, thin-ness, usb-c charging port (faster charging), wireless pencil charging, faceid, are probably worth 150$ more than last years 10.5 model (Which was basically a 2nd gen chassis)

Reactions: larzy

TravisPNW

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2017
Renton, WA
I do set aside money for these purchases but I'm having trouble justifying these cost increases from Apple. When the rumours started about these new devices I was pretty much set to buy, but with these price increases I have to actually think about it.

I had no plans to upgrade this year having just bought the 12.9" 256GB LTE iPad Pro last year for $1029.99... but I gotta ask... is Apple on drugs?

It's $1299.99 this year for the same thing!!!!

$279 increase?

Jimpilot

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
No
I have to agree with most of you. I bought a new iPhone, watch and now iPad this year, but next year if this increase schedule continues I will sit it out.

Seems like Apple is trying to find out just how much people will pay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.