7D and 5D II at Skywalker ranch

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by mbell75, Dec 12, 2009.

1. mbell75 macrumors 6502

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Philip Bloom is very talented regardless of what camera he's using.

Lethal

3. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

this is true.

4. wheezy macrumors 65816

wheezy

That's one of my favorite blog-posts of his, well written and just loved hearing several of his dreams come true. I have a lot of respect for Mr. Bloom.

As to the video... it's a gorgeous video. The intriguing aspect of the 5DII/7D to Lucas was the incredible footage from a camera that can get stuffed in a small area, ie an airplace cockpit.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I want to apologize for some of my language in my previous post. I want this forum to be a place for helping and sharing knowledge and posts like that do neither.

Lethal

6. KeithPratt macrumors 6502a

I'd say you earn enough Brownie points around here for at least one foul-mouthed tirade per week. (Don't know if there's an alternative on offer if you don't wish to spend them this way.)

mbell75, in its correct context, the video from the Canon VDSLRs is really good, but it's not perfect and you've made some pretty outlandish claims which people picked up on in an attempt to bring the balance back to where it should be.

I don't think you'll find many who actually dislike the VDSLRs (are other people calling them that or is it just me?).

7. Keebler macrumors 68030

it must have been deleted lethal b/c i don't see it.

Plus, we're all allowed a bad day or moment.

You're always providing helpful advice so don't worry about it.

As for the video - just amazing and it comes at a time when I was thinking of expanding on a business idea where I might need a video camera.

instead of buying just a video camera, I may upgrade to one of those DSLRs.

Cheers,
    Keebler

8. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

You and me both. I loved it. I am really looking at the 5DII now....... Or should I say I am looking at it even harder! LOL

9. stagi macrumors 65816

stagi

pretty awesome footage. but remember its really the person, not the gear that makes great images :)

10. Keebler macrumors 68030

Absolutely agree about the person and not the equip. My goal is to interview individuals and I like the idea of having a Dslr as well
    But I did check out the prices and I'm not sure if the xti or the more expensive 5d

Choices. Choices

cheers
    keebler

11. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

"pretty awesome footage. but remember its really the person, not the gear that makes great images "

Ohhhh....How true that statement is:)

I've been shooting with my 5d2 for a year and a half now...7d for 3 months. Getting pretty footage constitutes sooooo much more than the camera and corresonding lenses;)

But....I will agree, contrary to all the bitching about aliasing, limited resolved detail, jello, limited recording time, overheating, et. al. I've had nothing but an incredibly fun time owning mine.

That said, they are complimentary tools for me. I also shoot with an HVX200a and EX-1...the DSLRs though, tend to add another creative tool to the kit, for shots impossible for me to grab on 1/2 or 1/3" sensors!

J

12. mbell75 thread starter macrumors 6502

What exactly did he do? None of those shots are complicated in the least. He just set the camera on a glide track, focused where he wanted, hit record and moved it along the track. 90% of us here could do that. No tricky light, no tight angles etc...Bloom's work is very good, but there was nothing difficult about any of those shots at all minus the time lapse but those were stills :)

I agree about needing to have a true video camera for certain shots though too. There are certain times where one will work better than the other.

13. w...b macrumors regular

I've been doing some research on the 5D lately, but i wanted to know how they look with night shots under low light, or constant changing back light (ie street lights while driving in a car)?

I currently have a panasonic hd camcorder but the low lights suck, so i'm looking to upgrade and a new DSLR would be great. My Nikon 40D will be handed down to the wife.

Thanks. Sorry for thread jumping.

The video of the 7D and 5D looked great.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

So he just set the camera up willy-nilly and hoped something visually interesting would happen in front of the lens? He didn't look around the environment and make a purposeful decision to shoot X instead of Y? He didn't make decisions about what would be good to shoot at dawn, what would be good to shoot in daylight and what would be good to shoot at dusk? He didn't set the exposure of the shot to help create a mood or to direct the viewer's eye to a certain part of the frame? He didn't think about shot composition? He just randomly selected lenses and filters out of his kit w/no regard for how they would impact how and what he shot?

All of us here can also write and perform cuts-only edits but that doesn't mean we can all create a compelling story or skillfully edit a feature film. Whenever I hear someone say that Kirk Hammet, for example, isn't that great of a guitarist because it doesn't take long to learn his songs I typically ask the guy what original music he's written that's as good as Kirk's or better. Reverse engineering something good easy. It's creating something good all on your own that's the hard part.

The lower light performance should be better, but the dynamic range might not be (it depends on the quality of the camera you are coming from).

Barry Green (yes, him again) has a good article comparing the GH1 to the 7D and in it he not only talks about those cameras but also about how the features of the DSLRs in video mode compare to features typically found on standard video cameras. If a DSLR lacks a feature you can't live w/o as a shooter it's better to read about it now than to find out about it after you've forked over some cash.

Lethal