Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrGeePee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
UK
Hi, my copy of Windows XP has arrived this morning. Vista was causing me allot of problems so i have decided to delete it from VMWare Fusion.

I located the Virtual Machines folder, i then dragged the Vista VM to the trash. Restarted my Mac and then checked how much hardrive capacity i had available.

This was my available memory BEFORE i deleted Vista

10idq4o.png

This was my available memory AFTER deleting Vista

2rejyv8.png

I got back a total of 12.67 GB.

When i installed Vista a month ago i gave it 20 GB, so im wondering where has the other 7.3 GB disappeared to?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Unless you specifically tell it to go out and use all of the space on your virtual drive when you create it, Fusion grows the drive as needed.

i.e. I set my XP virtual drive up for a maximum size of 50GB, although it's only use 7GB at the moment. So if I delete it, I'd only get 7GB back.

If your virtual drive ever grows to a big size and then you delete stuff off of Windows, the drive doesn't automatically shrink back down in size, but you can use the VMWare Tools (in the XP system tray) to shrink it. I shrank my XP drive from 15GB down to 7GB by doing that. :)

MrGeePee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
UK
Unless you specifically tell it to go out and use all of the space on your virtual drive when you create it, Fusion grows the drive as needed.

i.e. I set my XP virtual drive up for a maximum size of 50GB, although it's only use 7GB at the moment. So if I delete it, I'd only get 7GB back.

If your virtual drive ever grows to a big size and then you delete stuff off of Windows, the drive doesn't automatically shrink back down in size, but you can use the VMWare Tools (in the XP system tray) to shrink it. I shrank my XP drive from 15GB down to 7GB by doing that. :)
Thanks for the help.

So i can never get that 12 GB back ?!!? thats ridiculous! :mad:

What if i was to uninstall WMWare fusion then install it again, will that help?

edesignuk

Moderator emeritus
Mar 25, 2002
London, England
The 20Gb you gave your VM when you created it never really used 20Gb of space. Up until you scrapped it you'd used ~12GB of that 20GB. Now you'd dumped it you have your 12GB back.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Your screens shots show more available space (and less used space) after you deleted Vista, so it looks like you did get your 12.67GB back. Sorry if I'm misreading things.

I was just saying that you don't have to worry about getting the other 7.3GB of space back because VMWare Fusion more than likely never used it in the first place.

MrGeePee

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2007
UK
The 20Gb you gave your VM when you created it never really used 20Gb of space. Up until you scrapped it you'd used ~12GB of that 20GB. Now you'd dumped it you have your 12GB back.

You never lost that space in the first place.

Your screens shots show more available space (and less used space) after you deleted Vista, so it looks like you did get your 12.67GB back. Sorry if I'm misreading things.

I was just saying that you don't have to worry about getting the other 7.3GB of space back because VMWare Fusion more than likely never used it in the first place.

Ohhh, i understand now.

Thanks allot guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.