iPhone 7GB of other?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by map1978, Feb 11, 2013.

1. map1978 macrumors 68020

map1978

Since the JB my iP5 have become a hog

When I plug into iTunes it shows 7.27GB of Other being used? :confused:
    Can someone explain to me what's the deal?
    I don't have too many things installed and even if I did, I don't think it's 7GB worth.

Thanks for all the helpful input

2. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

"Other" consists of everything else that isn't covered in Music, Movies, Photos, Apps. Meaning, your SMS/iMessages, email, app data, jailbreak data.

3. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

That I understand but there is no way all that could be 7GB on my device

Anyway to clean it up?

4. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I've noticed this too. I don't have nearly that much junk but its still much larger than I've ever experienced before with the other data. There's a known bug where every time you respring, the device doesn't properly delete old cache files other junk so that builds up. Add Ryan Petrich's repo and install RespringCacheFix. This will at least help with the problem. You can also install iCleaner and run that periodically. I run it about once a month. Cache files exist to speed up the device so I don't like clearing it much more than that. But there's definitely something going on with the "other" data on 6.1. I did a dfu restore as new without restoring a backup. My other data was about 600 mbs. Now it's 1.6 gb. I can't seem to get it much smaller.

5. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

That is interesting as I respring the phone a lot it seems. Can you post the repo I should add?

6. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

Wow didn't realize this was a actual bug in 6.1 and not the JB itself

I did a quick google search and found the repo

My phone went from 0 bytes to 5.4 GB free :D

7. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

It's a bug in the OS. Petrich's fix though might be related to a minor bug in the jaipbreak. I can't remember. Regardless, it's all over the apple support forums. People are restoring as new then manual inputting their contacts and skipping syncing or restoring and their experiencing an ever increasing "other" category. Very strange indeed. I can definitely say for a fact though that jail breaking adds even more to that category. Pretty routine though.

8. j4zb4 macrumors 6502a

j4zb4

9. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

I appreciate your input man
    That fix from the repo has cleaned it up from 0 to 5.2GB and no problems since

Hopefully it holds up

10. taylob macrumors newbie

I wish I would've seen this thread before you did this. I had the EXACT same issue. It was driving me crazy. I got rid of all of it. It was a bug in iOS 6 that would keep text message attachments, even if you deleted them.

To get rid of them, install ifile, navigate to where the attachments are stored (Im sorry, but I dont know off the top of my head where they are stored), hold your finger down to select all, then delete, then empty trash. restart phone.

may want to make a back up just in case something gets messed up. But this worked perfectly for me.

11. JPChicago macrumors regular

seeing this as an issue with my phone as well

12. elless macrumors newbie

This annoyed me on my ipad for the longest time. Then I realised I had deleted files in ifile and hadn't emptied my trash. I emptied it and gained at least a few gigs back. :eek:

13. map1978 thread starter macrumors 68020

map1978

well that repo fix definitely helped clear out cache and phone is back to normal storage

will monitor it for a few days

couldn't believe this was a iOS issue and not a JB issue

14. lokster macrumors 6502

lokster

the correct size for others space is around 1.5-1.7gb, ive seen this on all my iphones and ipads that are jailbroken. cydia takes some space and then some, then the rest are like swap space for the ipad, you'll notice the others space going up and down especially transferring videos