7in or 9.7in...does size matter??

Discussion in 'iPad' started by iGuyiGuy, Sep 20, 2010.

?

which do you prefer?

1. 7

20 vote(s)
    10.6%
  2. 9.7

168 vote(s)
    89.4%
  1. iGuyiGuy macrumors member

Just wondering who out there would prefer a 7in ipad over the current model??

I have 2 ipads now and personally think a smaller screen is silly, even if they added a camera.

What's your thoughts?

2. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Bigger isn't always better but in this case it is. Wouldn't use a 7" at all, it's just too small.

3. drenline macrumors 6502a

drenline

I wished instead of goin smaller, they would stick to the regular iPad size except maybe fill up the bezel going around the front screen, eliminating the black framed bezel with picture.

4. seajay96 macrumors 6502

The problem with that is how in the world do you hold it if the entire front is touch sensitive?

5. bwrairen macrumors 6502

↑↑↑ That was the first thing I thought as well.

6. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

I started noticing just recently that my thumbs never rest on the bezel. They naturally hover over the screen on both sides just past the bezel. They never touch the screen. I tried holding the iPad with both thumbs on the bezel, but it felt very unnatural. My hands are average size, not big at all. But this is when I hold it with two hands. The iPad has weight so I barely hold it with one hand, but when I do, the bezel os necessary.

So my personal preference would be for them to at least decrease the size of the bezel if the current weight is kept, but if it becomes much lighter in the 2nd generation, keep that current size of the bezel.

7. mkaake macrumors 65816

Personally, I'd love an iPad in 12" form... the 9.7 is good, but sometimes I'd like just a little bit more space (and resolution) to work with.

8. pizz macrumors regular

I like the 9" size but cant see myself carrying it around with me. A 7" would be ideal for portability.

9. BruiserB macrumors 65816

I would like smaller for portability, but wouldn't want to give up anything on the screen...would prefer it's kept to same resolution as current iPad, but just smaller display. I think that even though some text might display smaller, it would be clearer at the same resolution. I might feel different in a few years when the reading vision starts to go, but for now, I would love a slightly smaller iPad.

10. Truffy macrumors 6502a

Truffy

I don't have 7" pockets, so I don't see the smaller version being much more portable.

11. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

As I said in a similar thread, I'm torn on how I feel about the 7 inch size. On one hand it might be nice (at times) to have something smaller and lighter, but on the other hand, it won't fit in my pocket so I can't have it with me at all times. So if I have to carry it separately, it might as well be slightly larger, right?

12. kenmarable macrumors member

Not to post just a "me too" but... me too!!

Something that displayed in (or near) 8.5" x 11" (or A2 or whatever it is for much of the rest of the world) would display documents specifically designed for that size much nicer. But that would be closer to a 13.9" form, hopefully with a thinner non-screen edge.

However, I am willing to wait until technology improves to decrease the weight significantly before anything larger than the current 9.7".

Either way, I am personally not even slightly interested in anything smaller. Just as others point out above, once it no longer fits in my pocket, there's not much need for a small size. Not saying it would be pointless for everyone, but certainly pointless for me.

13. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

This is how I feel as well. I think a 7 inch iPad would fit in my purse perfectly...My current iPad I don't carry around because I haven't found anything feminine and purse like that will fit it. I bought a vertical laptop messenger bag but on days I don't have my iPad it is a hassle to carry (yes I tried going this route for several weeks)...I don't want to carry a gigantic purse for what I normally carry (keys, phone, wallet)...nor do i want to have to swap bags out depending on if I am taking my iPad or not.

14. lozpop macrumors 6502

If I wanted a smaller iPad I'd buy an iPod touch.
    The iPad is perfect at his size.

15. iGuyiGuy thread starter macrumors member

I don't think a 7in iPad would make it anymore portable.

If I wanted something to fit in my pocket i would get the iPod...

Also I don't see myself taking a 7in tablet out and snapping quick photos in public lol...

16. Maziar macrumors 6502

For me 9.7" is perfect,at first i thought its slow but now i think its quite fine for a tablet, i don't think i can stand a 7" screen,its too small for my taste

17. Ciclismo macrumors 6502a

Ciclismo

1) Rephrase the poll question to "would", because there is no 7" iPad and thus everything is hypothetical.
    2) If you are going to ask who would prefer a smaller iPad, you should also ask who would prefer a larger one. Please add 12" as a choice to give a better idea of what people want (I, for one, would change my vote to 12" from 9.7").

18. n2arkitektur macrumors member

n2arkitektur

+1

If you need an iPad that's more portable, what's wrong with the iPhone 4"? If you need an iPad that has greater resolution and productive capacity, what's wrong with the MBA (or any other Macbook)? The iPad is already perfectly placed between the portability of smart phones and the productivity of notebooks. This new 7" iPad is just to compete with the models Apple's competitors are coming out with.

19. hexhead macrumors member

Trying to use the web with a 7" iPad would be too much like trying to use it on the iPhone. Too much enlarging and moving things around to really get the most out of it. Anything smaller than the current iPad will just be more of that. Websites display nicely on the iPad, especially in landscape mode.

20. My name is Alex macrumors regular

My name is Alex

The current iPad was the third category device between a laptop and a smartphone. What would the 7 inch one be, between the phone and your ipad?? They're not going to release a 7" version

21. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

Nothing beats choices.

There's a market, Apple's proved it in the past with many of their products.

Funny how so many people are overflowing with negative energy and negative predictions ...:)

22. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

Funny how the same people are overflowing with common sense. ;)

23. iGuyiGuy thread starter macrumors member

Per request: I have added a third option to the poll...

Anyone want a larger than 9.7in iPad??

24. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

To satisfy most, if not all, Apple should keep the current 9.7" model and add both 7" and 11-12" models. Just an idea. ;)

25. bcaslis macrumors 68020

The poll so far doesn't agree with your assumption that there is a market for the 7" size. But from your other posts it's pretty clear you don't want to confused by facts.