7K200 or Sandisk SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by edblor, Apr 3, 2009.

1. edblor macrumors regular

Hi all,

I have read up on the performance benefits of SSD, and they are still kind of in their infancy.

Anyway, I have a CD 2.16GHz 17" MBP, and the stock 120GB 5400RPM HDD.

I just picked up a Hitachi 7k200 200GB and a Sandisk 32GB 5000 SSD HDD.

The Hitachi obviously gives me a 7200RPM performance boost over the 5400 stock, and more HDD space as well.

The Sandisk SSD would definitely give me a performance boost, but at the expense of available space.

I don't "need" the space, but it would be nice. I install the basic suite of apps (CS, Office, tweak apps....), and 32GB should suffice. My music is available via my local network, and I can force backups to external drives no prob.

So, the question is what would I benefit more from in a performance sense? Bootup, disk access, overall performance are important to me.

Cheers, and I thank you in advance for your replies.

Ed

2. santos79 macrumors regular

3. edblor thread starter macrumors regular

Great read. Thanks for the link. I buy/sell on Anandtech, but I spend less time reading their articles lately!

Anyway, I thin kI am going to go with the 7k200 for both the 7200RPM benefit over my stock 5400, and the additional space it provides.

Anyone else with thoughts?

Cheers

4. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

SSDs are faster than 7200s any day. Faster, cooler (as in temperature), less vibration, less power. However, they're not quite good in the long run. Due to the fact that they can only erase pages/blocks and can write to one page/block at the time instead (I forget which, sorry). Especially if you have many page ins/outs. Your SSD will get cluttered like hell. My $0.02