Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dest

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
UK
I started the update as usual over wifi and it all downloaded no problem.
It then got to about 3mm away from finishing the update progress bar and just sat there for ages.
Eventually it went to the plug into iTunes screen, so did that and it said I need to restore or update.
I tried to update and kept getting 6009 errors and eventually managed to get the update to download.
Now I'm getting error 9 (USB connection error) when it tries to install a full factory restore.
I'm on an MBP, tried both USB ports and two genuine lightning cables, all of which have made no difference.

Not sure what to do now, my phone is unusable! :(
I've had iPhones since the 3G and this is the first time I've ever had a problem installing an update.

It gets to the Preparing iPhone message, then waiting for iPhone, then the progress bar appears on the phone and it says Verifying on iTunes and error 9 appears.

Reactions: 41qser

41qser

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
I had same thing happen tonight... after 5 or so tries in itunes it finally worked. Very annoying.

Armen

macrumors 604
Apr 30, 2013
Los Angeles
I started the update as usual over wifi and it all downloaded no problem.
It then got to about 3mm away from finishing the update progress bar and just sat there for ages.
Eventually it went to the plug into iTunes screen, so did that and it said I need to restore or update.
I tried to update and kept getting 6009 errors and eventually managed to get the update to download.
Now I'm getting error 9 (USB connection error) when it tries to install a full factory restore.
I'm on an MBP, tried both USB ports and two genuine lightning cables, all of which have made no difference.

Not sure what to do now, my phone is unusable! :(
I've had iPhones since the 3G and this is the first time I've ever had a problem installing an update.

It gets to the Preparing iPhone message, then waiting for iPhone, then the progress bar appears on the phone and it says Verifying on iTunes and error 9 appears.

If you've had an iPhone since the 3G you would know to put the phone into DFU mode and do a restore.

hint: DFU mode on a iPhone 7 is power/sleep button + Volume down.

dest

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 26, 2014
UK
That's what I was doing, and then it was getting stuck in the loop above of error downing the update, and then error 9!
I eventually got it to work after repeated attempts. Then restored from yesterday's iCloud backup. I got to bed at 3am in the end I'm just glad it finally sorted itself out

Reactions: 41qser

41qser

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
If you've had an iPhone since the 3G you would know to put the phone into DFU mode and do a restore.

hint: DFU mode on a iPhone 7 is power/sleep button + Volume down.

Cool story bro. That's what was being done.

Glad it worked itself out dest... as frustrating as it is.

Gmouse

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2014
Lakewood, CO
My 7 Plus keeps asking me to logon to iTunes...despite the fact that I can download music, and apps with no issues, after the upgrade. I've rebooted a lot of times, still asks about every five minutes. Upgraded iPad Pro, no issues.

kingston73

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2015
I have no faith in icloud backups after once needing one and it not being there. Now I back up everything to my hard drive and copy the backup into another folder as well. Anyhow, glad it got fixed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.