iPad 7th gen vs 6th gen - what improvements?

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
It appears my grandson stood on his sister’s iPad - the ONLY one that doesn’t have Applecare. :(

He is 4 and on the spectrum (although obviously we correct him when we see him do these types of things) - this is why their iPads have AppleCare, but it was too late to add it on my granddaughter’s iPad.

Anyway, I’ll probably just sell it and go ahead and get her a new one - that way we can put AppleCare on it.

What are the improvements, other than size, if any, of the 7th gen over the 6th? I lean toward just going ahead with the latest (her older brother has an Air 3, but I’m not going there - wish I would’ve waited for his and gotten a 7th gen for him instead of Air 3). I just don’t know if it’s worth it to go with the 7th over the 6th. I have to get LTE, so the cheapest deals with wifi aren’t going to be an option.

Digitalguy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2019
the main advantage is 3GB of RAM instead of 2, so less reloads and more future proof.... (the keyboard connector advantage is probably not a big dead for a child)

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
the main advantage is 3GB of RAM instead of 2, so less reloads and more future proof.... (the keyboard connector advantage is probably not a big dead for a child)
And it’s the size of Air 3, correct? Different processor, or same as 6th gen?

rui no onna

macrumors G3
Oct 25, 2013
And it’s the size of Air 3, correct? Different processor, or same as 6th gen?
Physical size, yes, the 7th gen is around the same size as Air 3 (albeit thicker). A wee bit smaller display, though.

Compared to 6th gen, apart from size, RAM and ASK, 7th gen also has dual SIM support (eSIM + physical Nano SIM) and gigabit-class LTE (not that I'm in an area that actually sees those speeds).

Mind, I think most of the 6th gen stock has been depleted already so deals for AppleCare+ eligible brand new might not be so easy to find. Walmart and Amazon were selling the 6th gen LTE versions for $299-329 32GB/$399-429 128GB before Thanksgiving but I think they're already sold out.

Just this weekend though, I believe Best Buy had 7th gens on sale for $50-80 off and during the holidays, they were $379 32GB/$459 128GB.

Last edited:

ssledoux

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 16, 2006
Down south
Yeah I compared the Air 3, 7th gen and mini, and I was gonna have a difficult time pulling the trigger on something with 2 processors behind, knowing it will be something she’ll have a while.

Reactions: rdy0329

*~Kim~*

macrumors 6502a
May 6, 2013
UK
Great choice. The specs of the Air 3 without the same price tag. Love mine, the Air 3 is just too big for me. Feels like it would be easier to accidentally drop and break too.

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
It appears my grandson stood on his sister’s iPad - the ONLY one that doesn’t have Applecare. :(

He is 4 and on the spectrum (although obviously we correct him when we see him do these types of things) - this is why their iPads have AppleCare, but it was too late to add it on my granddaughter’s iPad.

Anyway, I’ll probably just sell it and go ahead and get her a new one - that way we can put AppleCare on it.

What are the improvements, other than size, if any, of the 7th gen over the 6th? I lean toward just going ahead with the latest (her older brother has an Air 3, but I’m not going there - wish I would’ve waited for his and gotten a 7th gen for him instead of Air 3). I just don’t know if it’s worth it to go with the 7th over the 6th. I have to get LTE, so the cheapest deals with wifi aren’t going to be an option.
Differences between the 6th and 7th gen iPad:

- extra GB of RAM (6th gen has 2 GBs, 7th gen has 3 GBs)
- larger 10.2" screen (+ slightly higher resolution)
- Smart Connector
- Space Gray color is darker

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.