7zip widget

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Signal-11, May 6, 2009.

1. Signal-11 macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Anyone know if there's a Dashboard widget for 7zip?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Just out of curiosity, what would you need a 7zip viewer/unpacker in widget form for?

Isn't that a little bit inconvenient?

3. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

But how can you drag/drop to the Dashboard? Curiosity feeds me.

Wouldn't an application sitting in the Dock be more appropriate?
    Or what about the Unarchiver ? It unpacks archives with a simple double click on the file, be it .rar or .zip or .7zip.

And btw, those forum icons (bold, italic, link, image, ....) look really blurry with FF3 and Windows XP.

5. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

What do you mean, how can I drag/drop to the Dashboard? Assign Dashboard to a hot corner. Drag file to corner. (Fitt's law!) Dashboard activates, drop on a huge icon sitting in the middle of the Dashboard.

I don't often need to use 7zip, so I specifically don't want yet another icon on my dock for a relatively rare interaction.

I've got a couple drag and drop widgets in my Dashboard. I don't need to check MD5s every day, but when I do, it's a click, drag and a drop away.

I'm not interested in an unarchiving widget, just compression. I've got everything set up to double click unarchive directly in Finder. This is why I specifically used that wording "drag and drop compression." I also don't want to add yet more context menu items. It's already long enough as it is.

I googled this and couldn't find anything so I was thinking that it's time to goof around with wxWidgets. I'd rather not do that if someone already has.

So there, does that satisfy your curiosity?

Now *I'm* curious. Were you unaware that you can drag objects into the Dashboard?

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Yes I was unaware of this functionality (drag and drop into the Dashboard), that's why I was curious.

I only know, that one can make a widget stay on the desktop with some keystroke, but I couldn't get it to work.

But I don't know of any widget that could help you, but thank you for enlightening me about gadgets, or was it widgets? :)

7. Signal-11 thread starter macrumors 65816

Signal-11

Yeah, it took me writing that explanation to figure out what was going on. I simply wasn't understanding why you weren't understanding. :)

It's the opposite of inconvenient.

If your hand is already on the keyboard, you can grab, then hit F4 and you're in the Dashboard, too.

My problem is that I originally set the wrong corner for Dashboard and my brain won't unlearn it even after weeks of what should theoretically be a superior hot corner layout. Stupid brain, why won't you cooperate! :mad: