8.0.2 Black Screen When Making Phone Calls

iWooz

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 5, 2013
I've recently realized an odd behavior on my 5s running 8.0.2:
Sometimes when I make a phone call the screen suddenly gets black and I have to press the home button to regain control over the phone controls.
This is happening so fast that I cannot even enable speakerphone - I have to press the home button first.
Anyone else having this problem?

gardiboy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2011
I've recently realized an odd behavior on my 5s running 8.0.2:
Sometimes when I make a phone call the screen suddenly gets black and I have to press the home button to regain control over the phone controls.
This is happening so fast that I cannot even enable speakerphone - I have to press the home button first.
Anyone else having this problem?
8.0.2 is full of crap. After every call we hangup, gotta wait 2-3 secs before it goes back to the home screen.

Jr. Pac

macrumors member
May 23, 2014
It likely thinks it's up to your ear via the proximity sensor. Even your arm or head casting a shadow from a foot away will put the screen curtain on.

Can't be sure though.

gordon1234

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
The issue I'm seeing is that if the proximity sensor gets activated during a call, it often seems to get stuck on and keeps the screen blank even when you move the phone away from your ear. I've actually had to force-restart a couple times to get the screen to come back on. Very irritating.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.