Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
My brother's tried to update his iPhone 5 to 8.0.2

He went to download 8.0.2, after it installed the phone restarted but still had the "1" badge. He went back to check it out and it said that the software is downloaded and gave him the option to "install". He clicked on install and the phone kept restarting now his phone is showing the connect to iTunes message on the screen and won't do ANYTHING other than show the iTunes message.

His phone has never been tied to a physical iTunes computer and he does not even own a computer with iTunes.

How do we fix this??

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008

He went to download 8.0.2, after it installed the phone restarted but still had the "1" badge. He went back to check it out and it said that the software is downloaded and gave him the option to "install". He clicked on install and the phone kept restarting now his phone is showing the connect to iTunes message on the screen and won't do ANYTHING other than show the iTunes message.

His phone has never been tied to a physical iTunes computer and he does not even own a computer with iTunes.

How do we fix this??
Plug it in iTunes and restore.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Wow so this means I'm going to have to rush to download iTunes on my 10 year old HP laptop since I almost exclusively use my Chromebook now and haven't touched the HP in months.

God I hate iTunes. This happened on one of his old phones and forever screwed up my iPhone sticking a bunch of his crap on my phone

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
2 hours to download the software update? Man. It's been downloading for nearly an hour now and still has 75 minutes remaining. This is on a 30mbps connection too.

Most alarming of all is that every 15 minutes or so iTunes pops back up with the "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode" message and says to click restore even though it's already in the middle of the process.

ashton18

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2014
Atlanta / Los Angeles
2 hours to download the software update? Man. It's been downloading for nearly an hour now and still has 75 minutes remaining. This is on a 30mbps connection too.

Most alarming of all is that every 15 minutes or so iTunes pops back up with the "iTunes has detected a phone in recovery mode" message and says to click restore even though it's already in the middle of the process.

Haha, on the same boat dude! Seriously. I have 24 minutes remaining, wish me luck!

lwood1

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2008
SoCal

How do we fix this??

Your brothers what? :D

Sulten

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2011
Just did 8.02 and no issues no brick. its all functioning. now lets see how the update helps or doesnt help the phone with the issues.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
After two hours of downloading it just went right back to the "are you sure you want to restore this iPhone?" message and now is sitting on "extracting" with zero progress for over 10 minutes now. Ugh

Any luck for you Ashton18?

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Well here it is after SIX HOURS of "extracting software". This is now over EIGHT hours of total time in iTunes trying to unbrick this phone. What a complete nightmare. Guess I'll just have to leave it and hope that it completes sometime during the day while I'm at work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 264

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Well here it is after SIX HOURS of "extracting software". This is now over EIGHT hours of total time in iTunes trying to unbrick this phone. What a complete nightmare. Guess I'll just have to leave it and hope that it completes sometime during the day while I'm at work.

I would feel so foolish if I waited for 8 hours!:)

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Get a better computer

My laptop is 10 years old but to blame the computer is really a reach. I don't often use the computer anymore but my brother has done quite a bit of 3D modeling on it as recently as two months ago designing fairly intricate custom "big brake" caliper adapter brackets. The laptop, while "slow" for 2014 standards, is still more than capable. I tried my best to future proof it when I ordered it back in the day.

So to recap - computer downloads and installs 100MB + iTunes in 2-3 minutes. Then iTunes takes over 8 hours to download and extract a 1 GB file? Yup, computer to blame. :)

Bottom line is iTunes is trash. To even have to deal with iTunes in 2014 for an OTA update on a phone that has never once touched a physical computer or ever been connected to iTunes prior to now is irritating at the very least.

I would feel so foolish if I waited for 8 hours!:)

Well, leaving it to extract while you sleep is a bit different than sitting there like a "foolish" person for 8 hours straight. What would you have done instead? I'm asking genuinely - if there is something to do other than waiting for POS iTunes to fix this what is it? Cutesy smug comments aren't very informative.

*edit* sidenote - I also just noticed my attachment is sideways for some reason. Uploaded directly from my 6 Plus and the picture isn't sideways on my phone. Strange.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I am not seeing this issue at all.

Multiple people are updating from iPHone 5 to iPhone 6 plus and reporting everything is fine.

nick19

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2014
London, UK
I've just updated three x iPhone 5s and 2 x iPads and 1 x iPad Mini to 8.0.2 OTA. Download took about 15 minutes on each, and no problems with cell or WIFI post update.

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
I OTA updated my 6 Plus (which just arrived last night) from 8.0 to 8.0.2 just fine. Buddy OTA updated from 8.0.1 to 8.0.2 just fine as well.

For some reason though it did this to my brother's phone. And evidently to Ashton18 as well. Wonder how long POS iTunes took on his - or maybe he's still "extracting" as well. :D

shuttersny

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2008
Bricked iPhone 5 while applying IOS 8.02

Just tried to apply 8.02 OTA on an iPhone 5 that already had IOS 8.0 - when into verifying mode and whamo!- BRICKED IPHONE
IT DOES NOT EVEN SHOW UP IN ITUNES 11.4 (18)
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

james92se

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
Dallas, TX
Just tried to apply 8.02 OTA on an iPhone 5 that already had IOS 8.0 - when into verifying mode and whamo!- BRICKED IPHONE
IT DOES NOT EVEN SHOW UP IN ITUNES 11.4 (18)
:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Join the frustrated crowd!

My brother's iTunes saga just finished "extracting" and now of course it's saying "The iPhone could not be restored. The device cannot be found."

I'll have to screw with it tonight with DFU and whatnot. Though I'm nearly positive we put it into DFU mode prior to starting the iTunes saga.

Tigrao

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2012
I'll have to screw with it tonight with DFU and whatnot. Though I'm nearly positive we put it into DFU mode prior to starting the iTunes saga.

Try using redsn0w to kick the device out of recovery mode.

Attachments

• Recovery1.png
    Recovery1.png
    12.7 KB · Views: 141
  • Recovery2.png
    Recovery2.png
    51.7 KB · Views: 144
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.